Friday, January 6, 2023

Bed is once again solid.

Last night's task was mostly getting the futon fixed.  Annoyingly, they did only send me the absolute minimum required to fix it.  The back decking wasn't even complete (it was missing the end boards), so I had to disassemble the old one and take parts and put them on the new one.  It is especially annoying when there is no space.  The box and the mattress and my deacon's chair were blocking the other side of the house, and the parts were blocking the door, and I still had no room to work.  Imagine that, tiny homes are tiny...


It is fixed though, and it feels solid again.  Since I never stand it up (it requires two people when the mattress is on it), I am considering taking some spare 1x3 and clamping it in the middle to make the two pieces more rigid and attached to help prevent it from breaking again in the future.


I also noticed last night that there is a beeping from my space heater occasionally when it is running, and I have started smelling the cooking electronics.  It is the exact same model (and same age) as the one that already failed.  I might look at getting a spare just in case.  I can heat the place with only one space heater (I haven't turned on the other one in over a week) except when it is really cold.  It isn't a bad idea to have a spare though.  Since if it fails, it will do it when it is below 0 outside and one can't keep up.


We are getting more snow today.  It had started when I got up this morning, but it is only supposed to be a couple inches.  Our snow coverage was down to ~10%, most of which was where the snowblower threw  it.  I will probably clear the slab so I can work on the cap this weekend, but I don't expect I will clear anything else.  Only maybe the bank at the end of the road.  

On the home front, I have been mulling things over.  I am beginning to warm up to the mobile home idea.  I have never been a huge fan of another 5 year construction commitment, and it isn't like I can't put an extension or porch on or build the garage myself if I get the itch to build things next year.  

Winter projects:
  • Knock down the dead knotweed. 
  • Winterize equipment.  Fire up the generator
  • Get the building permit.
  • Complete detailed house plans.
  • Work with La Valley to get a concrete contractor.  Get the plan/schedule in place. 
  • Design future method of travel.  Consider building the prototype.
  • Shed floor.
  • Shed windows.
  • Fix generator box.  Decide/do something about power center.
  • Clear/mark walking trails.

No comments:

Post a Comment