Monday, May 9, 2022

A bunch of little things weekend.

I didn't do much during the week last week, but got the next batch of spring stuff done over the weekend.  

Saturday was actually kind of chilly, but I started by pulling out my utility trailer.  I got the light replaced that I smashed when we pushed it into place last year.  I am thinking I might finish the repaint job I started on it and then sell it.  With an 8' box on the new truck, its usefulness is pretty much over; it won't haul my tractor and to be honest I only used it maybe once last year (I don't actually remember the last time I used it).  


I also went and pulled out my driveway markers.  I will probably need to mow in the next couple of weeks.  


I left a couple of them out by the road to try to keep trucks from turning around in my driveway, the building season has started and they will be removing the weight limits from the road next week.


On Sunday I decided to try killing the knotweed when it starts.  Even if it doesn't kill it, it should pretty much halt its growth, or at least that is the hope.  I sprayed the side down by the creek, but didn't have enough weed killer.  I don't remember how well this stuff worked (it is probably in my blog somewhere from last year), but I got it because I couldn't get the regular glyphosate at Home Depot anymore.  I think I can still get it at Tractor Supply though.  At any rate, I need more.


After I ran out of week killer, I went through with my shears and removed everything that was at head height or below.  At the present moment I don't have a riding mower, so at least the first mowing will be with the push mower.  This way I don't have branches whacking me in the face.  


I still had some time left over after that so I decided to go up and work on the shed. The first joist I put the bracket on straight compared to the joist, since I wasn't able to pound the curl out of the outermost board, and I tried to pull it in with the screws, but that also failed.  


The second one I just put the bracket on it the way it was.  The third joist I wasn't able to get the joist to jack up properly, it looks like the former nails were pushing it around.  I will need to come up with a way to cut them off, since taking them out means removing the bottom pieces of siding which I don't like the sound of.  I am not sure I can get my grinder in there, and I don't think the cut off wheel on my Dremel will reach, but we will see.


The last thing I did was I tried to clean out the back locks on my cap.  I forgot to put the plastic covers on once and they got fully caked with salt.  Whether I sell the cap separately or trade it in with the truck, it would be nice if it was lockable.  My cheapo Harbor Freight pick set was not up to the task though.  The picks were too large and wouldn't go all the way to the back.  I think we have a better set here at work I might try to use.  If anyone knows a good way to clean salt out of a keyhole, I am all ears.


I also did a bit of housework on Sunday, some meat prep and grinding and stuff.  I also prepped the summer project list.  The utility trailer is on the list, which has been started.

Summer projects:
  • Prep truck for trade in
  • Determine house plans (modular vs mobile vs stick)
  • Get my power service upgraded
  • Shed floor
  • Shed doors
  • Concrete shed supports
  • Anti-mouse the shed (seal it, maybe spray with pepper spray or something)
  • Eliminate pile of crap in the back yard.  
  • Level the side yard.  
  • Investigate retaining wall construction. 
  • Install windows in the shed.
  • Fix/sell the utility trailer.
  • Driveway round 5
  • Get building permit
  • Determine the future method of travel.  Build prototype?
  • Come up with garage plans
  • Clear walking trails on lot.  
  • Build a bridge over the creek

No comments:

Post a Comment