Tuesday, February 1, 2022

Another snow filled weekend.

Saturday was snow.  A lot of snow, though not as much as it was supposed to be.  I did some cleanup and chores on Saturday.  I did notice that my really big flash drive doesn't work acceptably with the new laptop.  It isn't clear as to why, the drive works fine in every other machine I have plugged it into.  It is really annoying though.  I also learned that the ports on the right side of the laptop are very deeply recessed into the laptop.  A very annoying problem.
UPDATE - it turns out the flash drive is broken.  Even though I have been using it for months.  I can still get the stuff off the drive at a miserably slow speed that will take weeks to copy everything off.

Most of the day Sunday was spent clearing snow.  We got around 6-8", but it was hard to tell because it came with a lot of wind.  The wind blew it literally all the way into the carport.  


The clearing did go quicker this time, since I was able to run the snowblower a bit faster.  Unfortunately I went a little too fast when I pulled the tractor out.  Looks like carport repairs will be on the project list for next year as well.  Sigh.


My blunders didn't end there.  I also dug up and yanked the power cord for the carport and shed.  When I get the real home built, I will definitely be burying the power wire.  This one was buried a couple of inches where I push the snow, but apparently I didn't do it enough.  I will have to look at the extension cord and see if it is damaged this weekend.  It would really kind of suck if it is.  100ft 12awg cords are expensive and trying to run it in the middle of the winter would be obnoxious.


I am surprised that these still haven't fallen off.  It is hanging down almost three feet now.  They should come off this week though, it is supposed to be warm today and tomorrow.  If not, I can't imagine it would take much more than a poke to get it off.


Everything is still in progress.  I will hopefully get the wiring inspected this weekend.  The outer insulation was damaged, but I couldn't see if the conductors were damaged because of snow.  There is, of course, another large snowstorm coming in Thursday and Friday, so a good chunk of this weekend will be spent clearing snow as well.  The good news is that I have a half day on Friday, since I have an eye exam.  I am finally going to get new glasses that aren't held together by heat shrink. 

Winter Projects:
  • Install chains and anti-gel in tractor.
  • Get power center out of truck.
  • Fix shed floor.
  • Review options for house (mobile home vs stick built vs modular)
  • Put up more shelving/hooks in the carport

3 comments:

  1. in reference to your glasses: And don't look like you have been hanging around yours sister while she sings??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. indeed. getting sunglasses and the like would be nice too.

      Delete
    2. Oh getting fancy with sunglasses and everything!

      Delete