Monday, February 7, 2022

Not a lot of progress.

I didn't do much over the weekend.  I did get my new prescription on Friday and ordered new glasses.  I do have a follow up on May 4th since apparently my eye exam revealed some unusual nerves, and they want to run some additional glaucoma testing, but at least I will have new glasses (and sunglasses hopefully) for my trip.

Saturday I went out and picked up some tires for Heather.  On an interesting side note, the price of gas in NH deviates a lot more than it used to.  Gas up in Laconia was almost 50¢ a gallon cheaper than Keene.  The I-93 corridor has always been a little cheaper, but the difference was never anywhere near that large.  I filled up while I was there.


I noticed as I went out that apparently the deer have started using my driveway.  They came through at night though.  The snow came in Friday night, and this was taken Saturday morning.  


I also went out and took a look at the extension cord.  It looks fatal.  I might still be able to cut this chunk out and splice it back together, but its days as a permanent outdoor fixture are at an end, even if I splice it I wouldn't feel comfortable leaving it buried in a snowbank or puddle (depending on season).  I will pick up a replacement this week.


Outside of trying (and failing) to scrape up some ice with the tractor, I didn't do much else on Saturday, and on Sunday I went out snowshoeing in Otter Brook, though I didn't really need the snowshoes.  All the rain and muck on Thursday and Friday packed everything down really good.  Unfortunately I had another casualty while I was out though.  It is still warm and wearable, but its age (I got this from Dad decades ago) is catching up to it.


One other thing to complain about: when I moved to Sullivan, the plowing was top notch.  They were the best in the whole Keene area, and it wasn't really close.  I noticed a couple of times late last season after a storm that they didn't seem to finish cleaning it up, but it isn't uncommon for highway departments to run out of salt or whatever towards the end of the season.  This winter however, Sullivan has routinely been among the worst plowing in the region.  It is not quite VT levels of bad, but pretty close, and I am not sure what changed.  This is what the road looked like on Friday.  In the middle of an ice storm on a road that has a ~10% grade in spots.  There was no salt to be found, the slush was freezing in the road, which had not been touched.  This is troubling because the only way to avoid that kind of steep hills involves going 10 miles out of the way on similarly poorly cleared roads.  Thus far I haven't had any issues, but I have had to use 4WD a lot more this year than in years past.


I thought about working in the shed on Sunday.  It never got past the contemplative stage though.  I did some thinking about my trip though, and I am debating cutting out either the first or second stop in Texas.  I am concerned that the trip doesn't seem to have any actual downtime in it, and this would free up a day.  I have everything I need to start making reservations (which I really should have done last month), so I will need to decide soon.  

No comments:

Post a Comment