Monday, February 14, 2022

Floor ready for jacking.

Saturday was really nice out, and rather productive.  It was finally warm enough out that I felt comfortable charging the battery bank.  Batteries lose charge over time, and it hadn't been charged in a few months.  According to the inverter, it is now back up to 13.2V which is tip top (lead acids are considered full at 12.8V).  


I also ran the new extension cord around.  For now I just put it on top of the snow.  


I just laid it on the slab for right now.  I will have to unplug it and move it when storms arrive so it doesn't suffer the same fate as its predecessor.  


I was a little disappointed at how much hasn't melted off, considering most of the week was 40s and sunny.  


It makes things slick.  Especially when your shoes look like this.  It might be time for new ones.


So the first thing I did was dig out my salt container.  I don't use much in the way of salt typically. and put some (okay, a lot) down hoping that the almost 50 degrees and sun would clear everything off with a little help.  


My new glasses arrived on Saturday.  They have far less heat shrink and cracks in them.  The first thing I noticed though was the anti-glare coating, which has long since worn off the old pair.  Sun and snow will do that though.  While there is a little bit of oddness with them, I get a fisheye effect if I am looking near the edges of the lenses, I am not sure if that means I measured my pupillary distance wrong or just that my lenses have gotten that thick on the edges.  I might stop up at the eye place today and just get a formal measurement.  It is only ten bucks.  Get that done before I order a spare pair and sunglasses.  The frame size seems a bit small; they tell you all these things to measure to determine frame size, but never tell you how to turn those numbers in a S-XXL size.  I took a guess, and while wearable, it appears small.  The arms press into the side of my head, though I haven't gotten a headache from it yet or anything.


With the power to the shed restored, I went up and finished removing nails and got the first piece cut out.  The bottom of the subflooring and the joists are actually in really good shape.  I also got the nails pulled out of the other piece, though I will need to finish the first piece before I can shift enough stuff around to get to the second piece.  One thing I noticed: my floor jack won't fit under the joists, and there is no chance of using a bottle jack.  I was going to try to find a small scissor jack, but I haven't gotten around to finding one yet.  


After jack hunting, I decided to finish clearing off the ice on the slab.  My metal shovel was frozen into the ground, so my plastic shovel got some abuse.


The salt did its job though.  Which considering how much I used, isn't that surprising.  I put down around 6 lbs of rock salt and calcium chloride mix.  And it was almost 50 and sunny.


I only had a pound or so left, so I used it on the apron.  One more than one occasion I have almost ended up in the yard since the bottom is a solid sheet of ice.  The apron being covered in ice makes pulling out slow and difficult as well.

The thick stuff (some of the ice was almost 4 inches thick) I ended up doing the old fashioned way with an iron bar and effort.


It took a couple hours, but the slab is completely cleared off.  At least where I would walk anyways.  There is a tiny strip next to the house and next to the carport that isn't cleared, but everything in between is bare concrete again.


I didn't do much on Sunday.  I started to assemble the GoPro.  It looks like I am going to have to make a custom base for it.  I watched the Superbowl at work.  Ate some (a lot) pizza.  It was a good game, the commercials were better than last year, though not great.  The halftime show wasn't the kind of music I like, so I didn't watch most of it.

Good progress was made on the shed.  

Winter Projects:
  • Install chains and anti-gel in tractor.
  • Get power center out of truck.
  • Fix shed floor.
  • Review options for house (mobile home vs stick built vs modular)
  • Put up more shelving/hooks in the carport

No comments:

Post a Comment