Thursday, February 3, 2022

Stuff and things.

My stuff is coming in.  The GoPro and its accessories arrived.  I got a 1TB card which will hopefully be adequate.  I do have a few 64GB MicroSD cards kicking around that are reasonably fast should the need arise (maybe not fast enough for 5k video, but plenty fast enough for pictures). I made a few stops last night and picked up some magnets at Home Depot.  If I get some free time this weekend I might try it out and make sure it will stay mounted to the truck.  It is a 45lb pull strength magnet, and the GoPro is very light, but I don't know how it will handle going 70mph.

I decided to beat myself up on Tuesday.  I went for a skating lesson when I got out of my truck and fell on my back on the step to get into my truck.  That didn't feel good.  I also decided to slice and dice my finger when I was chopping a zucchini which didn't feel too good either.

I get my prescription on Friday, so I went and measured my pupillary distance.  It is kind of a pain.  As soon as I get the exam though, I am ready to order new glasses.  

I am close to completing the itinerary for my trip in March.  Which is good, since I have already found a lot of places full when I started to poke around at making reservations last night, so I need to get on that sooner rather than later.  Here is where the itinerary stands.

To KY 3/11-3/12.  Build box for generator and prep camper (de-winterize).
Leave for TX 3/19 AM for Palo Duro Canyon.  Google says 16:10, @55 ave = 20:21
Arrive afternoon 3/20.  Fill camper water tanks.
Stay at Hackberry RV Park night of 3/20, 3/21
Leave for Fort Davis/Davis Mountains 3/22.  Google says 6:09, no interstate
Arrive afternoon of 3/22
Stay at Limpia Creek RV Park night of 3/22
Day of 3/23 - Visit views and sites.
Leave for Carlsbad caverns 3/23 afternoon.  Google says 2:48
Stay at Parks Ranch Campground night of 3/23, 3/24
Visit Carlsbad cavern and white sands 3/24
Leave for Petrified forest 3/25 AM.  Google says 7:53, about half interstate, so likely 10 hours
Stay at Rainbow Ranch night of 3/25, 3/26
    * 3-26 - Painted Desert and Petrified forest
Leave for Prescott National Forest area 3/27 morning.
Stay at xx 3/27, 3/28.  Time is around 3 hours.  Update when location picked.      
    * 3-27 - Tip Top Ghost town, Arcosanti
    * 3-28 - Montezuma Castle, Lake pleasant park?  Have time for another thing.
Leave for Grand Canyon 3/29.  Google says  2:18, little interstate.
Stay at Mather Campground night of 3/29 - 4/2
    * 3-29 - Western Canyon - Grand Canyon Skywalk, Eagle Point, Guano Point, quartermaster point,
    * 3-30 - South Rim - Desert View drive, other hikes
    * 3-31 - North Rim - 
    * 4-1 - North of north rim - Vermilion Cliffs National Monument, Lone Tree Access Point, Grand Canyon Parashant National Monument
    * 4-2 - Rail tour
Leave for KY 4/3 AM.  Drive back through Monument valley (only adds ~1 hour driving time).  Google says 28 hours, ~33 hours @55 ave.
May have to work from camper 4/4 and possibly 4/5 on the road since it is a seriously long return trip.

Or here is another way to look at it as a day by day breakdown.

3/11 - Take off to Albany.  Deliver Aunt's late Christmas present.
3/12 - Drive to KY.
3/13 - In KY.
3/14 - Remote work in KY.  Build generator box.
3/15 - Remote work in KY.  Build generator box.
3/16 - Remote work in KY.  Build generator box.
3/17 - Remote work in KY.  Build generator box.
3/18 - Remote work in KY.  De-winterize camper.  Prep truck.
3/19 - On the Road to Palo Duro Canyon, Texas.  Sleep on the road.
3/20 - Arrive at Palo Duro Canyon, Texas.  Fill camper tanks.  Stay at Hackberry RV park.
3/21 - Explore Palo Duro Canyon.  Stay at Hackberry RV park.
3/22 - Leave AM for Fort Davis TX.  Arrive early afternoon. Stay at Limpia Creek RV park.
3/23 - Explore Fort Davis.  Leave PM for Carslbad caverns.  Arrive in evening.  Stay at Parks Ranch Campground.
3/24 - Visit Carlsbad caverns and White Sands National Park.  Stay at Parks Ranch Campground.
3/25 - Leave AM for Petrified forest/painted desert.  Arrive late afternoon.  Stay at Rainbow Ranch.
3/26 - Explore petrified forest and painted desert.  Stay at Rainbow ranch.
3/27 - Leave AM (could be pushed back if I want to see more) for Prescott National Forest.  Arrive late morning.  Visit Tip Top Ghost town and Arcosanti.  Stay at ???
3/28 - Visit Montezuma Castle.  Relax at Lake pleasant park?  Stay at ???
3/29 - Leave for Grand Canyon AM.  Arrive mid morning.  Visit Western Canyon.  Stay at Mather Campground in park.  See  Grand Canyon Skywalk, Eagle Point, Guano Point, quartermaster point
3/30 - Visit South Rim.  Stay at Mather Campground in park. See Desert view drive, and ???
3/31 - Visit North Rim.  Stay at Mather Campground in park. See ???
4/01 - Visit places north of the Grand Canyon.  Stay at Mather Campground in park.  See Vermilion Cliffs National Monument, Lone Tree Access Point, Grand Canyon Parashant National Monument.
4/02 - Take the Steam locomotive tour of the Grand Canyon.  Stay at Mather Campground in park.
4/03 - Leave AM for KY.  Drive through Monument Valley.
4/04 - Remote work from the road.  Return to KY.  Possible late arrival, but unlikely.  
4/05 - Remote work from the road.  Return to KY.
4/06 - Remote work in KY.  Clean out camper.
4/07 - Remote work in KY.  Clean out camper.
4/08 - Remote work in KY.  Leave PM for NH
4/09 - Arrive in NH mid-afternoon.
4/10 - Sort pictures from home.  Will upload while at work week of 4/11.

2 comments:

  1. That seems like a super long itinerary I hope you get a LOT of good pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am honestly worried that it is too dense. the only relaxing day is the last one. I am debating removing one of the texas stops. it was really nice to have a day with only one or two things in it when I was in SD, and that trip was only a week. I don't really want to Japanese Tourist the trip. The problem is that if I remove something from Texas, I won't likely make another trip through Texas in the foreseeable future. The fall trip is planned to be Utah, and next year I only get one big trip, which will likely be the pacific coast.

      Delete