Thursday, November 18, 2021

Beautiful day, almost ready.

I went up yesterday and paid my property taxes.  While I was up there, I fired up the pushmower.  It really didn't want to start, but it did eventually, and I ran it out of gas.  The mower is now ready.

Today was gorgeous.  It was supposed to be rainy, but the rain got pushed off.  I really didn't want to come back to work today after lunch.  It turns out today would have been fine for concrete, though by the time I knew that it was too late to do a piling.


Instead I went up at lunch and did the snowblower.  The oil was dirty.  It took forever to drain out too.  I started with just a small brick under the front to tip it back.  I quickly upgraded it to a full on cinder block, and it still took almost a half hour to drain.  I only got ~20oz out of it too, it is supposed to take 26.


I am not sure what kind of oil it is, but it certainly seemed thicker than 5w-30, which is what the engine calls for.  It was thick and it also appears to have permanently tinted the dipstick.  This was taken after trying to rub it off.


I got the oil changed and fresh gas put in it though, and it started unusually quickly and easily, the instant the button made contact it was running, and I was able to throttle it down and turn the choke off immediately, which while good is abnormal for this unit.  Maybe it is because it is 60 out, but my guess is that apparently the oil that was in it was choking it.  It runs like a new engine now.  The scary part is that I bought this from Troy Powersports, an actual dealer and repair shop, not a random dude off the internet, and they still did it wrong.  I certainly won't go back there for any work.


Unfortunately since the snow blower took too long, I didn't get anything else done.  I did get the pile of screws I mentioned a post or two ago picked up while I was waiting, but that was it.  It isn't supposed to get below freezing tonight, so I will likely have to go up at lunch again tomorrow.  Maybe I will try to do the tractor tonight and the driveway markers tomorrow.  At some point I need to pack for my trip too.  I guess waiting to do the tractor wouldn't be the end of the world if it comes to it.

2021 Projects:
  • Before Ground freezes/Gets too cold
    • Install driveway markers
    • Pull out snowblower and prep it.
    • Winterize mowers
    • Install chains and anti-gel in tractor.
    • Move totes on slab
    • Take down bug-zapper
    • Get power center out of truck.
    • Level back yard
    • Level front yard 

Winter projects:
    • Fix shed floor.
    • Review options for house (mobile home vs stick built vs modular)
    • Put up more shelving/hooks in the carport

No comments:

Post a Comment