Saturday, April 25, 2020

Beautiful productive day.

I didn't get much done during the week.  I did order a new power monitor, but Amazon has delayed its arrival, so no solar testing this weekend.  I also started to design my own power meter in case this one doesn't work either. 

It was very warm today, so I opened up my windows for the first time this year. 


As a result, I got lots of time to paint today.  I finished painting the trailer.  It only got one very heavy coat, since that is all the paint that I had, so hopefully it is enough. 


I painted the spots I missed red since I still had some red laying around. 


The gray had started to peel so I sanded and painted these white.  I actually bought the white paint for the spice racks, but decided not to paint them. 


I then moved to getting the mower ready.  So I sharpened the blades.  They need replacing.  The edges are badly rounded and chewed up.


Then I switched back to getting the spindle out.  I tried the reciprocating saw last year, but I came up with an easy method to get spindle off.  The casing was fragile, which is what started the whole debacle.  So I went hulk smash on it.  I didn't even need to get a big hammer.  Snap off the edges and it popped off. 


I finally got the new spindle installed. 


The blades are kinda even.


Next up is the pulley.  This was rather applicable today.  Unfortunately I don't own a torch.


I used the grinder to get it off.  It took a couple of hours and my arms feel like jello now.  I got most of the way through it and just wailed on it.


Eventually I got it free.


The new spindle is defective, the threads are supposed to all the way to the gear part.  They don't go far enough, so I had to put a bunch of extra washers on it. 


After that the deck was complete.  So I went to install it and realized that I have apparently lost the clips.  The only ones I found are the ones for the dozer blade, and are rusted out.  So I will have to get new ones.


I still put the deck back on anyways, so it is just a matter of installing clips.  The mower fired up instantly.  I tried to turn on the deck but without the clips the PTO just fell out.  The blades started to spin though which is a good sign.


I still need a new filter to finish getting it ready.  I apparently have two quarts of oil, but no filters. 


I also got a new board ripped for more spice racks.


I need to build a lean-to to get my equipment so I also walked around looking for places to put it.  Here is the first option.  It needs a lot of leveling, but it is also not at the top of the hill that I can't get up in the winter, it is only partially up the hill. 
Lean to option 1


Option 2 is at the top of the hill.  This is where I park when I drive up.  I might be able to put it far enough back that I can still park up there.


On a side note, I picked up some keto based cereal.  It was truly very awful.


It is supposed to rainy and miserable tomorrow, so I will probably go out and get the clips and oil filter. 

2 comments:

  1. Just "truly very awful" I hear it's a lot worse than that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The biggest problem is that the sweetener they use (allulose) is the worst sweetener I have ever tasted, and its awfulness overpowers the flavor of the cereal. If you balance it out with a little sugar twin (a sweetener that doesn't completely suck) you end up with cereal that is ludicrously over-sweetened, but the sugar twin tempers the awful taste. Mixed with unsweetened almond milk to help alleviate the over-sweetened nature of it, it is almost tolerable, but that is a lot of massaging to get the cereal to be just tolerable.

      Delete