Monday, May 20, 2019

Some outdoor work done.

Didn't do anything on the water heater on Sunday, but it turned out to be a decent day after some early storms so I did some outdoor work.

I noticed on Sunday when I was out walking around that my well was leaking.  It isn't supposed to do this.  You can see the stream if you look over by the hose.


I am not sure why it has a screen on it (probably to keep rodents out) but it appears that it was plugged.  There was one tiny stream coming out of the drainoff pipe.


I took a rock and scraped all the crap off it, and then it started spraying everywhere.  There was obviously some pressure built up. 


I also took the cargo unloader apart and sure enough, it is just the bar that came apart.  The fabric is torn, but it should be mendable and usable. 


I also took some time to raise my mailbox up and bring it a little closer to the road.  I got note last week that said my mailbox was too short.  It is now a 4x4 taller.  It was on the short side before they repaved the road, and now that the road is more than a quarter inch thick, it is really too short.  I am also thinking I didn't use enough concrete, I only put 80lbs in, but the post wobbles notably.


So I made sure that was the only wobbly part.  These are 6" 3/8 shank bolts.  They should hold it.  I also put a couple of corner braces on it since I had them lying around.


I picked up some rocks out of the yard until the bugs started to get to me, bug season is definitely here.

I also went and reclaimed some of my unused fittings.


I also went and hooked up the emergency drain for the water heater.  I decided to tee it in with the water filtration system drain, since I already have two pipes draining into the laundry drain, and can't really fit a third well.  I cut the water filtration drain, and had a panic moment when I realized that it wasn't actually 3/4 PEX like I thought.


At this point it was too late to get to Home Depot.  They used 3/4 PEX on the upper end though, so I assembled it anyways since the system was supposed to do a flush today while I was at work.


Just in case there was issues, I wrapped a towel around it in case it leaks a little. 


The top where it connects to the unit is also a standard PEX fitting, so I am hopeful it will work.


In theory, I should have used check valves to prevent backfeeding, but I don't think it will be an issue, the water heater has a PRV that should prevent backfeeding, and the only way the water heater will drain into the line is if something very bad is happening, so I think for a first step this will be fine.  I may want to rebuild it anyways, since the tubing I spliced it into is thin walled and might not take the heat well if the hot water heater does blow its PRV.


Those were the final PEX connections in the entire house, so truly just a vent a water heater left and then everything should be fully functional, just organization and furniture improvements. 

No comments:

Post a Comment