Sunday, March 13, 2016

Long day, but all walls complete

I got a late start because of daylight savings time, but managed to finish the front wall today.  The first thing I did this morning was lay it all out.  I quickly discovered that I had miscounted on the number of 10 foot studs.  Thankfully it was an easy fix, I just had to move where the short stud was.  

Unfortunately, when I went through and modified all my nominal values to take into account board sizes, I apparently missed a couple.  Grrrr.


The completed wall.  I finished right at sunset.


I decided to do this over top of the door.  Originally I was intending to just ignore the normal supports that go above a doorway, but Tim talked me out of it.  I ended up using some of the 1/2" plywood that I got from dad to connect the cripple studs, and then nailed that into a double 2x6 (which also had some 1/2" plywood in it to make it the right thickness).  I did that to avoid having to nail at weird angles to get things fastened together.  Time will tell whether or not it is strong enough.


My new tarping solution involved just buying some siding that I will eventually use (T111 siding is more expensive that I remember it being...) and use a layer of that on top.  Unfortunately the stack of walls has gotten large enough that my large 15x19 tarp isn't enough to cover my 12x16 shed, but I did the best I could.  Since it was already dark, I didn't have time to patch the holes in the tarp.  The siding should be able to getting a little better than everything else though.  I thought I had another tarp, but it turns out I bought 2 11x17 tarps, not a second 15x19.


Since I got the little strip installed as well, I am ready to raise the walls.  I will probably need help to do that, but first I need to give my truck a tune up.  It is starting to miss and just generally drives like the distributor cap (or Dodge equivalent) is bad.  Kind of a bummer, but thanks to daylight savings time, I might be able to work on it during the week.

No comments:

Post a Comment