Saturday, March 5, 2016

Flooring mostly done

Got a lot done today.  It was a bit chilly, but that means that it was frozen up there, and didn't even need the 4WD to get up the hill, 2WD was sufficient.  The first thing I did was I finished up the inter-joist supports.


When I was designing this I may have had a Minor miscalculation...  The floor base is comprised of two 8' chunks, but the center is exactly 8' in, meaning the edge of the front sheet of plywood was unsupported at the edge.


Fortunately I had some spare 2x6 lying around up there to make a support.


The plywood is all laid down.  The flooring isn't quite done yet, I still need to add a 1x4 to the side, since the joists were 12' and I didn't trim 3" off them, I have a small strip uncovered on the side.  I walked around and jumped around on it, it is solid.


I can also now get my tools out of the rain.  I have quite a bit if space on the left side underneath the floor.  I could probably even fit most of the lawnmower under there, but I probably won't bother, since that side isn't easily accessible.  In hindsight, I think going 10x18 would have been better, since at the front, 12' spans the entire clearing.


At this point, enough of the flooring is done that I can start on the walls while I figure out what to do with the side.  If I can get a hold of a planar, I will just use a 1x4 planed down to 19/32, otherwise I will have to buy a sheet of plywood and use 6" of it, which I am trying to avoid, though it wouldn't really cost much more, plywood is surprisingly cheap, these sheets were only 20 dollars and I didn't get the cheapest ones since they looked like crap.  Two 1x4 boards would run me close to 10, so it isn't a big deal.  I will have this problem with the siding too most likely, since the walls are 2x4x10 but will be framed in another set of 2x4, so the walls will end up 123" tall instead of 120", which will make the siding awkward, not just 1 1/4 sheets.  I might consider trimming the walls though.  10' boards don't fit in my truck all that well, but they do fit without the crazy overhang like I had on the joists.

1 comment: