Wednesday, August 7, 2024

E-Bike failed.

Monday I did my typical shopping run, and when I started pulling stuff aside, I realized I really needed to start planning out the food for my trip.  So I have added another section to the trip document:  https://docs.google.com/document/d/1VgAnZXowxcvWFAUoVYYKVFOL3tE_f45tBrUGvmUVaN8/edit?usp=sharing

The other big thing from yesterday was that I tried to fix my e-bike yesterday since the truck went in for its tires today.  This time I used Loctite on the threads.  Still didn't work, instead the pedal literally ripped all the threads out of the crank.  It blows my mind that the metal in the pedal is harder than the crank, yet here we are.  I am looking at welding it at this point, there is nothing left to do.  Or just buy an e-bike from a manufacturer that knows how to build a bike.  They are more expensive, but at least I know they understand the fundamentals of a bicycle.  Ride1Up is a major fail in my opinion.  And after this failure, I would be leery of buying anything from a straight-up e-bike company (Aventon for example is another popular one).  They may understand the E (though my other complaints with the bike cast doubt on that as well), but they definitely don't understand the bike portion.


So I got a ride for today to drop off the truck.  My truck has 4 brand new tires on it, and it drives a lot better.  I don't think I quite realized just how bad the old tires were.  All the squirreliness is gone going around corners and it drives straight again.  I just need to finish up the cap, and then the truck is ready.


There is also nothing hanging down underneath anymore.  Bob's just put it back on with giant washers.  Since it is made of felt, I don't have high hopes for it, but if it makes it through the trip, maybe I will pull it off and make a real metal one for it or something.  


On the cap front, the new lifters and handle for the back window have been delayed.  USPS's amazing delivery sequence: it went from NJ à Milford MA à New Ipswich NH à Turners Falls MA àSpringfield MA à Nashua NH à Springfield MA à Nashua NH where it now sits.  New Ipswich is less than hour from my place, so it has been steadily getting farther away.  And now it is sitting there, even though I am fairly confident there are daily trucks from Nashua to Keene based on past orders.  Way to go USPS.  While the back window needs to be replaced (or at least the hinge), I am not doing it this year.  Maybe next year, so these are the last parts I need.  It is still supposed to arrive before the weekend, but we shall see.


We are finally supposed to get some nice weather after this weekend, so I plan to take a day off next week.  I still haven't gotten around to changing the fluids in the excavator, so I might do that on Sunday, though the cap is definitely higher priority.  Maybe during the week I will start packing and figuring out things I still need to buy (bear spray comes to mind for an example)

2 comments:

  1. Maybe JB Weld for the pedal? And USPS has no knowledge of geography...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand that they go from DC to DC, but there is no excuse to go from Nashua to Springfield to Nashua. On the bike I might try JB Weld, but I am rapidly losing faith that the crank won't just disintegrate...

      Delete