Monday, January 8, 2024

Ugh, I am really starting to hate snow. Snowblower failures.

This weekend was our first significant snowfall, so I made sure to work on the PTO shaft on Saturday.  I quickly ran into a problem with the electric in the carport.  When I pulled it apart to drain, it didn't drain; it froze solid.  So now I can't plug anything in.  


So instead I decided to pull the tractor out to the front porch, where the other extension cord is.  The tractor didn't give me any problems starting even though it hadn't been started since October.  There was one other problem though: the tractor was frozen into the ground.  


The ice was no match for the power of hydraulics, though for a minute I thought it was stuck, I stalled it a couple of times trying to get it out, but a little extra push with the bucket after I broke it free and the wheels broke free.


Next up was replacing the cut off wheel on my grinder. It was worn down.  


Then it was time to cut the PTO shaft.  I didn't like how short it ended up.  



Then it was time to put it on the tractor.  The tractor side went on just like all the videos I had watched.  Slide it on the end, push the button, lock it in place.  The other side didn't want to go though.  Turns out that the other side isn't a button like even the manufacturer video said it was, it was a pin with a nut on it that slid because it was loose from the factory.  


Once I figured that out, I was able to get it on.  And then I found out that I cut it too short.  I followed the instructions to the letter, and measured everything twice, but nevertheless it is waaay too short.  And because of how short it is, I am guessing there is at most an inch of overlap in the shaft, enough that it makes me nervous to use it.  I don't know what happens if the shaft overlap is inadequate.  It might just twist the shaft, but even just that might make it near impossible to get off the tractor.  I did turn the PTO on though (with no load, it should be safe), and made sure that the snowblower spun freely.



Sunday started with snow.  And more snow.  So Sunday I decided to take apart my old TV, with the intent of validating my suspicions and making sure I get the right part.  I was pretty sure it was the power supply board (I don't even get the light underneath when I plug it in), but looking at the power supply board, I didn't see anything wrong.  


I also looked at the control board, and didn't see anything amiss there either.  The power supply board is cheap, so I might try it anyways, I can get it for less than $20 on ebay.  Otherwise, it might be time to just junk it.  I can get TVs for free on Craigslist from time to time.  This one is nicer than most of those though.


At first I thought we weren't going to get much, since there was only a couple of inches when I woke up.  It just came later than it was supposed to though.  We ended up with 7.5".  It was all light fluffy stuff though.  I waited until after dinner, when the snow had slowed to just a flurry.  The first thing I noticed was that my shovels fell over.  


I don't understand why, but I couldn't get the snowblower to start with the pull cord, since as noted above, the cord in the shed was iced up.  When I went and looked at this snowblower, it started second pull (and he claimed he hadn't run it before I got there).  When I changed the oil in it, it started first pull afterwards.  Last night I spent over a minute cranking on the electric start to get it running (after dragging it to the steps where my other cord was), and that was after a couple dozen pulls.  No idea what that was about.  


Once running, I didn't even get 10 feet with it before it suffered defeat.


I can hear Heather now saying duck tape fixes everything.  But in this case it did.  It doesn't work well, but it works.  My range of throwing is down to about 8-10ft.  But that is still better than 0.  Other than the chute though, this one runs a ton better than most of its predecessors.  I was able to run it in third gear, and only had to slow down for the bank at the end of the road.  The engine on it runs good (once it started).  It doesn't track very well (it pulls hard to the left), which was quite annoying, and the tires apparently don't hold air (which might be the cause of the poor tracking, I ran it with flat tires last night), another annoyance, but those aren't the end of the world.  No broken shear pins, no snow accumulating on the auger, no blowing seals and burning gratuitous amounts of oil.


Normally I don't move from "snow is pretty" to "Ugh, I can't wait for winter to be over" until later in the season, but clearing last night was pretty brutal.  I imagine that I will spit out my drink at how much it costs, but I might get a quote for paving the driveway this year.  

I did most of the driveway, at least enough to get out this morning.


I haven't done my grocery shopping for the week yet (I have moved it to Monday night from Friday) so Tractor Supply will be on the itinerary tonight to get a new PTO shaft.  

Current To-do:
  • ASAP
    • Shorten PTO shaft for snowblower
    • Final mowing of leaves?
    • Winterize equipment
  • Winter projects: 
    • All the cabinet upgrades (bathroom, pantry, and kitchen)
    • Design deck
    • Build armoire.
    • Install whole house filter.
    • Shelving upgrades in master closet.
    • Access panel upgrades in master closet
    • Install cube organizer in living room.
  • 2024 Projects:
    • Back yard drainage.  Complete Mortgage.
    • Insulate the water lines
    • Take scrap metal to Buffum
    • Close up tiny home.  Seal up plumbing.
    • Deck
    • Entertainment center
    • Storm doors

1 comment:

  1. Well Duck tape does not fix stupid, it just muffles the sound. So no it doesn't fix everything. But at least it held good enough for what you needed!

    ReplyDelete