Thursday, January 11, 2024

Sloppy storm.

The next storm was obnoxious.  We got about 4 or so inches of snow, a quarter inch of ice, and then enough rain to turn everything into slush, but not enough to melt it off.  Things are flooded all over the place, and there was significant flooding in Keene (though not as bad as June thankfully).  The water in my back yard was literally over the edge of the slab.


The driveway was soggy slop.  The snow was completely saturated.  


Unfortunately I didn't get the PTO shaft done; I got snagged on my out the door at lunch didn't have enough time.  I fired it up anyways to see what would happen.  And unsurprisingly it fell apart, the shaft is too short.


I ended up using the snowblower as a pusher, like the big ones that parking lots use.  It actually worked okay.  


It really plugged up the snowblower though.  


It was surprisingly obnoxious to get it all cleared out, but I got the snowblower all freed up.  It was 40 and sunny, so I was hoping it would drain off before everything refroze last night.  


As I was shoveling that pile out of the carport, it turns out I am still stronger than my shovel.  Sigh.  I do have a backup snow shovel, but it is a metal one that is really heavy.


I pulled off the gorilla tape patch I did after the last storm, but haven't put a new patch on yet since I didn't need the unit.  This time I am going to try to make the inside smooth so it throws better.  With the last patch it didn't throw well at all.  I have some time though, the next storm, coming this weekend, is supposed to be mostly rain, and then I have until Tuesday before the next round of actual snow comes, though the temperature is supposed to start dropping.  I have to admit, moving south looks appealing when the weather is this crazy, and so does buying a flamethrower...

Current To-do:
  • ASAP
    • Shorten PTO shaft for snowblower
    • Final mowing of leaves?
    • Winterize equipment
  • Winter projects: 
    • All the cabinet upgrades (bathroom, pantry, and kitchen)
    • Design deck
    • Build armoire.
    • Install whole house filter.
    • Shelving upgrades in master closet.
    • Access panel upgrades in master closet
    • Install cube organizer in living room.
  • 2024 Projects:
    • Back yard drainage.  Complete Mortgage.
    • Insulate the water lines
    • Take scrap metal to Buffum
    • Close up tiny home.  Seal up plumbing.
    • Deck
    • Entertainment center
    • Storm doors

No comments:

Post a Comment