Tuesday, January 9, 2024

Expensive Mistake.

I didn't actually clear where I park the truck, or the turnaround spot with the snowblower the other night, so I just pulled up to the house and parked, and backed out of my driveway.  And I discovered that my parking brake doesn't seem to work, either that or the truck slid with the wheels locked yesterday.  I didn't park that far down the driveway.  Either that or it is time for new tires; my current ones are long in the tooth.



Fortunately though, the truck slid straight backwards and didn't go into the rocks or anything.  So I did go out shopping last night.  I got a new PTO shaft.  I plan on going up at lunch to remove the one I cut too short and re-measure everything.  This was a very expensive mistake, this shaft has the torque clutch in it, which made it very expensive to replace, to the tune of a little under 500 bucks.  I didn't realize that it was quite so expensive.  If I had more time, I could probably move the friction clutch I have to another plain shaft which would have saved a few hundred bucks, but I would have to look up how to do it, do it, and still re-measure and cut the new shaft.  And the next snowstorm comes in tonight. 


I was unable to find a replacement chute for the walk behind, so I will also be making the gorilla tape solution more robust tonight.  I didn't double side it when I did it the other night (the snow was being blown into adhesive) which I am hoping is why it threw so poorly.

The next storm moves in tonight.  While there are still conflicting reports as to how much rain vs snow we will get out of it, they are all trending more towards the snow side of things, so I will need to get something done today about it, and hopefully get the two spots I haven't cleared yet done before it starts (which is unlikely, since it is supposed to have started before I get off for the day).

Current To-do:
  • ASAP
    • Shorten PTO shaft for snowblower
    • Final mowing of leaves?
    • Winterize equipment
  • Winter projects: 
    • All the cabinet upgrades (bathroom, pantry, and kitchen)
    • Design deck
    • Build armoire.
    • Install whole house filter.
    • Shelving upgrades in master closet.
    • Access panel upgrades in master closet
    • Install cube organizer in living room.
  • 2024 Projects:
    • Back yard drainage.  Complete Mortgage.
    • Insulate the water lines
    • Take scrap metal to Buffum
    • Close up tiny home.  Seal up plumbing.
    • Deck
    • Entertainment center
    • Storm doors

No comments:

Post a Comment