Tuesday, May 18, 2021

Short update. Just parts

I completed the cost analysis on the little trailer, and I think I will finish the painting and then move on.  Here is what it still needs: 
  • Light kit: $16 - https://www.amazon.com/MaxxHaul-70094-Light-Trailers-Under/dp/B01C4ZBXFY/ref=sr_1_2
  • Hub Seal Kit: $20 - https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/NTESearch?storeId=6970&ipp=48&Ntt=trailer+hub+seal+kit
  • Chains: $10 - https://www.amazon.com/Camco-50022-Safety-Chains-Capacity/dp/B01MCST726/ref=sr_1_2
  • Paint - $5
  • Tires - 30 dollars apiece assuming cheapo Walmart tires fit.
That comes to a total of ~$101, which in addition to the money I have already invested means I will break even if that.  I might still be able to get 100 for it with the hubs needing work.

I found someone selling a truck cap online for a Tundra, but apparently Toyota's "standard" bed isn't standard.  The bed on that truck is 3" shorter than mine because it came off a CrewMax cab instead of a regular quad cab.  So in addition to fighting the relative scarcity of Toyota Caps, I have to fight the standard bed not being standardized.  Ugh.

I took some measurements; my bed outside to outside measured 70" wide and 81.5" long.  It appears some years of Chevy truck beds are close enough (68x80) that I might be able to use one.  It won't fit nicely, but I need it to keep the bed dry (and preferably lock), not look nice.

The bus bars and crimper came in yesterday, and the wire should be arriving tomorrow.  I also went and picked up the remaining aluminum to finish up the box.  Hopefully that will get installed tonight.  The thing on the right is the crimper.  You put the terminal in the crimper, put the wire in, whack it a few times.

The wheel kit for the generator finally came in too, so I have something to do should I get bored.


2021 Projects:
  • Prepare summer equipment
  • Carport repair
  • Windows in shed
  • Shed supports
  • Table
  • South wall siding
  • Bridge over creek
  • Review options for house (mobile home vs stick built vs modular)
  • Trailer hub
  • Rebuild smaller trailer
  • Level back yard
  • Level side yard
  • Level front yard
  • Clear trees to creek
  • Remove dead/dying beech trees
  • Retaining walls?
  • Eliminate pile of crap in back
  • Camper Power Center (portable AC power source and generator)
  • Clean up/level area down by second parking spot
  • Driveway round three
  • Fix shed door.


1 comment:

  1. Don't you love percussion maintenance? "You put the terminal in the crimper, put the wire in, whack it a few times." I can just see this in my head right now!

    ReplyDelete