Monday, April 5, 2021

Felt good to do something again.

This weekend I went out and did some stuff around the yard.  While I wasn't exactly tearing through projects, it still felt good to be outside and doing stuff.  

I started off by running the gas out of the snowblower.  It had more in it than I thought but is now ready for storage.


I also lit my burn barrel for the first time this year.  It is always fun to watch the rust darken as it burns down the first time. 


While those two were going I went and collected all the driveway markers.  Only a couple of them were still standing, the rest had either been whacked by the tractor or fell over.  


While I was digging those out of the yard, I noticed that the dandelions are starting.  This is abnormally early for them.  


My snow coverage is down to 1%.  This is all I have left.  


I also went and dug out the smaller trailer, one of the projects.  It was buried.  I got this trailer a couple years ago for free, and at the time I was thinking of making a super dump cart or something for hauling fill and rock around.  With the tractor, that usefulness has passed.  If someone has a dire need for a trailer, I might give it to them, otherwise I might fix it up and sell it.  It isn't clear what the going rate for this would be; I didn't see anything equivalent on Craigslist.

The frame is in good shape, but I don't understand the odd bolt assortment.  Not a problem, but still odd.


Taking stock of what it needs, it will need a coupler repair kit.


It is running a 1 7/8" coupler it appears.


One of the bearings is bad.


The tires are dry rotted.


Which is kind of a shame, this tire looks like it has less than a dozen miles on it.  It still has all the nubs and the original paint stripes.


The brackets for the lights are still there, but the lights are gone and the trailer will need all new wiring.


The trailer platform measured 40.5" wide by 48" long.  Given that an average 4-wheeler is quite a bit bigger than that (42x72 is a common size for a smaller wheeler), if I do restore it, I will probably build a platform and flatbed over the wheels so that I can overbuild the existing framing.

I also started the carport repair.  I started with the siding.  I tried to re-form the siding without much luck.  I at least got the huge indent mostly pulled out though.


Once the burn barrel died down a bit, I also tried to start some of my mowing equipment.  The Cub and the push mower fired right up.  The Cub really needs an alignment really badly.


The Craftsman the battery is dead.  Very dead.  My battery charger tried to resurrect it, and it was still dead.  Oh well.  It was a cheap Duralast battery that is a few years old at this point.


One interesting note as I put the snowblower away, I didn't break any shear pins this year.  I still have about 40 spares lying around, but the driveway work I did last year was a success.  


I originally wanted to put the chop saw in the back, but decided to leave the Craftsman back there until I finish fixing the broken plexiglass.  I am guessing that I will finish fixing the carport before I finish fixing the Craftsman.  So really I just ended up swapping the snowblower and the Cub for carport arrangement.  


I started taking note of what I need so I can make a Tractor Supply run later this week.  Interestingly, despite being almost 15 years apart in age, it looks like the Cub and the Craftsman use the same oil filter, a nice note of consistency from Kohler.

A couple other side notes: I did take a quick peek at some modular homes which came up more expensive than expected, but I am not ready to say that is in progress yet, it was more just curiosity.  I thought about starting the south wall siding to free up my sawhorses, but I will need a real ladder to put it up; I had Greg's ladder when I built the wall extension and during the original construction.  Also, the rest of the rocks I was taking from Greg last fall are still available, so I might grab the rest of those soon.  I feel kind of bad using nicer landscape rock for fill, but it works quite well for it.

As far as projects go, the carport repair, smaller trailer refurb, and the prep summer equipment is started.  

2021 Projects:
  • Prepare summer equipment
  • Carport repair
  • Windows in shed
  • Shed supports
  • Table
  • South wall siding
  • Bridge over creek
  • Review options for house (mobile home vs stick built vs modular)
  • Trailer hub
  • Rebuild smaller trailer
  • Level back yard
  • Level side yard
  • Level front yard
  • Clear trees to creek
  • Remove dead/dying beech trees
  • Retaining walls?
  • Eliminate pile of crap in back
  • Camper Electrical extension (portable AC power source and generator)
  • Clean up/level area down by second parking spot
  • Driveway round three

No comments:

Post a Comment