Friday, April 30, 2021

Back to work. Electrical extension components selected.

After being on vacation the last couple of weekends, it was back to work this week.  

A lot of this past week was spent updating my battery and generator research.  My list of generators is now updated on the solar spreadsheet I have been working in (https://drive.google.com/file/d/16g0W-_9pEH2vaUiGeYPaBuW3A21ksxqL/view?usp=sharing).  More importantly though is I added a tab called Camper Power.  I put all the power consumption information in there that I collected on my last trip to KY, and I also put in a few different component selections and estimated how long they would last on battery.

You may recall I was rather surprised at the high power consumption of the camper, so I took two approaches.  The first is to get a tiny (and very quiet), 2kW or less, generator that can't run the whole camper, but use it to supplement the battery setup so I don't need to buy 8 grand of lithium or 1000 lbs of lead acid.  The other approach was to buy a very large monster inverter generator that can run the whole thing, leave it in the back of the truck and run it when I want to use the AC, allowing me to keep the battery setup really small.  Those generators are very expensive (but arguably not more expensive than a large bank of batteries), but they are also rather noisy (even the inverter generators are up around 65-68dB), which means I could potentially have trouble if I am in a state that doesn't allow idling.  There may not be many states like that today, but that is something that I would expect will spread.

I looked at several different options, all of which are located at the link above.  At least for the first iteration, I decided to go with small generator as a supplement.  The benefits of going with this approach: the small inverter generators aren't outrageously expensive (<$1k), they are very quiet (<60dB), and they are small and easy to move around.  On the downside, they typically don't have long runtimes courtesy of typically small gas tanks.  I would have that generator hooked up to a couple of power supplies, which I would then use an MPPT (solar) charger to put power in the battery bank.  Honda is the king of quiet inverter generators, but are exorbitantly expensive, so I went with an Energizer (the AA battery company) generator that on paper at least is competitive to the Honda for noise and literally half the cost.  I intend to pair it with 3 large lead-acid batteries and a 4kW inverter.  I am going with a 12V system, which while not ideal, for a small contained unit should be fine, it just means building it will require very large wiring.  Here are the components I chose, though I am considering adding another power supply and charger.  It will last a half day if I run everything from the battery, and a whole day if I run the fridge off of propane (which I will most likely do).

I might look into getting one larger MPPT charger instead of 2 (or 3 if I add another power supply) smaller ones just to make it more cost efficient.  Otherwise it is time to pony up the dough and start building.  I have also briefly started looking at truck caps since this will not be outdoor rated.

I have done a few other odds and ends this week.  I made a new switch for the generator earlier in the week.  It is too small for the hole, but was what was available.  


I installed the switch last night.  It isn't lined up well, but oh well, I am already over it.  


I don't know how I ever worked on the deck without impact tools.  They were expensive, but easily worth it.  


I pulled off the pulleys.  The first one was pretty much destroyed.  There are supposed to be teeth in the middle.  


I had forgotten when I went to sharpen the blades that I needed a new set.  Oh well, it won't cut nicely, but if it cuts, that is an improvement over the nothing it did all last year.


The new pulleys are installed.  It only took me 5 minutes with the impact hammer, compared to the hours of struggling with it last year ending in failure.  


The blades are sharpened and the deck is ready to roll.  The tractor itself is kind of buried in the corner and my carport is overstuffed at the moment, but it just needs an oil change and a new battery.


I also went up and picked up my dad's saw the other day, it is all fixed up.  I fired it up, and it seemed to run well.  I intend to run a tank or two through it before I bring it back down to make sure it doesn't just get gummed up again.  Plus I now have a meaty saw for taking down trees, mine is just a little 40cc limbing saw.  


I also borrowed a magnetic sweeper to try to find the other deck spring along with the tub of gray screws that ended up on the ground in the carport.  I would be very sad if I got a flat on my tractor because of that.  


When I went up to the shed for the grinder, it looks like I might need to add replace the doors on the shed to my list of projects this year.  Or definitely next year.  My current doors are peeling apart.  I should have enough T1-11 leftover from the south wall to do the one that is peeling real bad.  


Work is progressing (as much as it can when it rains every freakin' day) but nothing is completed yet.  The lit carport is very nice to have.  

2021 Projects:
  • Prepare summer equipment
  • Carport repair
  • Windows in shed
  • Shed supports
  • Table
  • South wall siding
  • Bridge over creek
  • Review options for house (mobile home vs stick built vs modular)
  • Trailer hub
  • Rebuild smaller trailer
  • Level back yard
  • Level side yard
  • Level front yard
  • Clear trees to creek
  • Remove dead/dying beech trees
  • Retaining walls?
  • Eliminate pile of crap in back
  • Camper Electrical extension (portable AC power source and generator)
  • Clean up/level area down by second parking spot
  • Driveway round three
  • Fix shed door.

No comments:

Post a Comment