Sunday, June 17, 2018

My table saw needs more table.

I didn't really get much done yesterday, I was at a picnic and didn't leave early enough.  Today was sweltering and I ran out of water by noon, despite bringing two water bottles and a quart of powerade. 

For starters, the table on the table saw is waaaay too small for plywood.  Fortunately the tailgate of my truck is slick and almost perfectly matched for height.


Without a support for the other end though, I wasn't able to push it all the way through.


I ended up using a chair.  It kinda sorta worked.  It wasn't slick enough though, and one of them turned a little as I was cutting it and had to touch it up by hand with the circular saw.  The cuts from the table saw are factory quality though, which is really nice.


It took me a little bit to figure out how to get it in, But the first piece dryfitted almost perfectly.  Due to the walls not being perfectly square, the first piece took a little longer to get right.


Some mistakes were made getting it installed.  I will need to touch up the insulation, some of it got ripped.  These things are a real pain in the ass to install by yourself.  I might try to bribe Matt with some steak when the rest are ready to go in.


I got the first two sheets installed.  I wanted to get the third piece installed, but had long since run out of beverage and was starting to get a headache from dehydration, so I called it a day. 


The heat is supposed to be even worse tomorrow, but break afterwards.  I did a jump test, and it didn't squeak at all.  The edge over by the wheel wells still squeaks a little, but in general it is really solid.  I used both liquid nails and screws.  I ended up using BC grade plywood, generally AC grade plywood is preferred, but Home Depot doesn't carry it.  It still looks pretty nice, and the surface is decent.  It should be good enough that I don't need a underlay.  On the whole though, it will be really nice to have space to work again.  Almost a third of the floor is laid.

2 comments:

  1. Put a piece of masking tape over the ripped paper on the insulation
    and call it good

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. might add a few new staples, but that was all I was planning on doing.

      Delete