Monday, March 6, 2023

Short post. Just snow.

It turns out the guy that came up on Friday wasn't the assessor like I thought.  He is from the underwriter group from the mortgage, and was mostly just making sure I didn't miss anything.  He did point out that I never got a quote from Dead River for the propane, which I kinda need to do if I want it included in the mortgage.  I will do that today or tomorrow.

The weekend was just snow.  Another 12" of wet heavy stuff, that melted down very quickly since it wasn't terribly cold.  The snowblower didn't explode, but burned another almost half quart of oil.  It really struggled to cut through it, the riding up was really bad this time around.  Though that was partially my fault from not clearing the last couple of storms causing weird ice bridges.  The cap seemed to do ok, despite having three inches of solid ice and around 8 or so inches of wet snow on it.  I noticed when I cleared it that the support beams were definitely flexing though, so it was at its limit.  Fortunately I didn't wait for the storm to finish before clearing it.  

I fortunately happened to see it before it got pushed into the bank, but apparently the receiver on my tractor fell off.  It wasn't installed properly; I never got around to getting the biting washers or lock washers to prevent it from rotating, but I thought it was tight.  I was apparently wrong.  Oh well, it isn't a priority, I sold my trailer and wasn't planning on using the tractor to move the house.


It makes me sad that these piles were all but gone 10 days ago.  Now they are about 5' tall.  Again.


It took a while, but I did get everything cleared.  I did the snowblowing on Saturday after it tapered off, and finished up with the tractor on Sunday.


I am definitely past the point of being ready for spring.  The snow isn't pleasant at this point, but worse is the ice.  There has been a ton of it this year.  I am mostly sick of losing my weekends though.  I haven't been able to work on the cap in a couple of weeks either.  There appears to be another storm coming in next weekend looking at the extended forecast.  Maybe it is time to move south...  Tim hasn't had a lot of snow down in RI, Mike hasn't had snow issues in DE, my dad is rototilling his garden in KY already.  

2 comments:

  1. I'll be planting the cool weather stuff in another week and a half... Come on down!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We got an early spring this year- 75 and sunny today! Out working cattle without a jacket on!

    ReplyDelete