Thursday, April 28, 2022

New truck on order.

So I stopped in at the dealer yesterday, and the new truck is officially on order.  Since it is a custom order, it has all the features I wanted: 8ft box, extended gas tank, limited slip 4WD, 3.5L ecoboost engine, cruise control, split bench, tow package.  And a few extras that I wanted, like the drop in bedliner, 400W AC plugs so I don't need an inverter (and have to fight the fact that 12V outlets are only 10A at best these days).  The truck is a bit more than I wanted to pay, coming in at just under $50k including the dealer fees, but isn't a compromise (unless you consider the cost the compromise).


Here is the Ford website rendering of the truck.
The dealer said that the official Ford lead time is 3-6 months.  He also said his last two only took 6-8 weeks.  He claimed most of the longer lead time orders were the more expensive higher end trucks, like the XLT Lariat because of the sheer amount of electronics and stuff in them (think DVD players in the seats kind of stuff).  Mine is a pretty low end truck, so hopefully I will get mine on the low end of the estimate.  Six months is long enough that I would probably have to cancel my second big trip this year.

So I now will have had a truck from all the major brands: I started with a Chevy, replaced that with a Dodge, am currently driving a Toyota, and now am going to Ford.  I test drove one of their XLT models while I was there, and the 3.5L has a lot of pull, so I am not worried about it being able to tow the camper despite being notably smaller than the engine in my current truck.  It should in theory get much better mileage too; it is rated for 17/23, whereas my Toyota is 14/18 if I recall correctly.

In other news, I went up to Tractor Supply and got a sharpening kit for my saw.  I got it sharpened (I think), and will be trying it out this weekend.  I have never sharpened a saw before, so hopefully I did it right.  The file seemed a bit large to me, but I got the smaller set that was supposedly for my saw.



No comments:

Post a Comment