Monday, July 19, 2021

Another soggy weekend.

Friday night I got another coat of urethane on the table, though they look the same as the previous picture so I didn't take a picture.

Saturday I started off mowing the back yard with the push mower.  The  lawn tractor would have gotten stuck; there was still standing water in spots.  I ended up completing the back yard with it drizzling on me (and the rain continued the rest of the weekend.  Sigh).  



After that, there were a handful of indoor/under cover items I did, but not a lot of progress.  I took my Dremel and tried cutting out the center of one of the lugs to see if I can get the cables for the power center installed that way.  It didn't really work.  For a low power circuit, I would have just tightened the crap out of it and not cared, but not for 80A.



The battery and charger came in for that freebie camera.  The camera works.  It is a much worse camera than I thought, the Kodak software is pretty awful, and doesn't let you change anything.  You basically have an auto mode and that is it, which is kind of sad.  It is reasonably modern hardware (15MP, HD video, etc) but its software is definitely holding it back.  It doesn't even have the special shooting modes that most have these days.  


I also noticed Friday that there is a leak in the plumbing under the bathroom sink.  This joint has been a problem before.  The problem is that the installation kit that came with the sink and vanity isn't PVC.  The PVC cement (this is the second time I tried to cement it in) doesn't hold onto the polyethylene.  So I tried silicone this time.  Other than some noob turned the water back on to test it before reconnecting the pipe, the silicone tore off when I was reconnecting it up and it now leaks worse than it did before.  I might stop at Home Depot to see if I can find an actual PVC hookup so the cement holds better.


In today's rain watch, the water is rising in the carport.  The shiny part in the middle is water, and it is several inches deep now.


I also brought my truck in Friday to get the alignment checked and get a tire looked at.  Turns out there were no holes in the tire that they could see with the soap, so they cleaned it up and put new bead sealer on it.  It didn't work.  They mentioned when looked at it that the rim was really bad and if it was the source of the leak that there was so much rust they might be able to see it with soap.  They didn't want to clean the rust off and check since it would make it worse if it was the rim.  So it looks like when I replace the tires, I will be replacing the rims.  At least the alignment was still good, so I don't need new tie rod ends or ball joints or anything.

Also on Sunday I did a quick cost analysis on rebuilding that boat.  I can get a turnkey boat on Craigslist for 2k, and a nicer one for 3-4k.  I estimated the cost of rebuilding the boat at around 3500, so it doesn't really seem viable.  It is perhaps a nicer boat than what I would get from a turnkey solution (most of those are just small aluminum boats someone stuck a motor on), but those are all I need.  THey are only good for a couple of people at most, whereas I could in theory bring along 4-5 people in the bowrider, and the bowrider would be nicer in the larger lakes like Winnepesaukee, but I don't see having more than one or two tops passengers out on the water.  It is possible that the estimate was high, but parts for rebuilding boats are getting really hard to find.  For those curious, the spreadsheet is here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1s9JsoTW8Y3khIM3dg8Fcd1safnQvY596rwvFceAfato/edit?usp=sharing

A little progress, but not much on the checklist.  I got invited to go hiking at the end of August in the Rockies in Colorado, so I need to start working out so I don't die.  I am behind on my projects for the year, so I really wish the rain would stop.

2021 Projects:
  • Prepare summer equipment
  • Carport repair
  • Windows in shed
  • Shed supports
  • Table
  • South wall siding
  • Bridge over creek
  • Review options for house (mobile home vs stick built vs modular)
  • Trailer hub
  • Rebuild smaller trailer
  • Level back yard
  • Level side yard
  • Level front yard
  • Clear trees to creek
  • Remove dead/dying beech trees
  • Retaining walls?
  • Eliminate pile of crap in back
  • Camper Power Center (portable AC power source and generator)
  • Baffle box
  • Clean up/level area down by second parking spot
  • Driveway round three
  • Fix shed door.
  • Fix shed floor.

1 comment:

  1. Your having a wet year too. Guess it's just going to be a wet year all the way around. Hope that is NOT a forcast for how wet winter will be

    ReplyDelete