Sunday, June 13, 2021

Power center at least partly works.

I spent most of Saturday trying to hunt down the last set of wires to no avail.  At least I got my truck cleaned out.  


I decided since I was so close, that I even vacuumed it out with my shop vac.  Some noob who shall remain nameless also put the floor mats in backwards last time the truck was cleaned out, so that has been remedied.


Apparently the mice built a nest inside the exhaust port of the shop vac.  I didn't see any mice get blown out when I turned it on, but a bunch of stuff came out when I did.  Fortunately it wasn't pointed at anything I cared about.


I also tore apart inside but didn't have any luck.  

Sunday I decided to move on; I could test everything without the last wire.  I got the tractor pulled out, it hasn't seen much use this year because I don't want to get a bunch of piles of stuff dumped and then have to leave and come back to stuff growing in it which makes it harder to break apart and spread.  I started off with a really bad idea, but it worked.  I half expected the wrench to go flying when I pulled on it and damage the tailgate.  It didn't though, and the ball is now free.


After that I pulled out my hose to give the tractor a bath.  It needed it.  


I apparently don't know how to pick out hose stuff.  I will probably use it for the remainder of the year since I don't use my hose a lot, but this is the second set of hoses that didn't survive.  I tried to get a picture of it spraying, but apparently failed.


The tractor is now all cleaned though.  I didn't thoroughly wash it, but all the sawdust and stuff has been rinsed off.


After that I pulled out the power center.  It now has felt feet on it so I can slide despite some of the nails sticking through on the bottom.  The ability to slide it will be important when I put all the batteries in it.


After getting the heatshrink put on all my cables, I hooked up one of the batteries and tested it.  The heat gun draws a few hundred watts, which it did with aplomb.  The display on the inverter can't be read in direct sunlight, but does work.  


In the end, it looks like it doesn't really matter that I don't have all the cables.  It is not physically possible to hook up a second set of wires to the batteries.  In theory (at least according to the manufacturer) a single 4/0 wire should be adequate.


I also cleaned up the wiring a little bit.  



I will need to come up with a plan for the battery charger.  I was planning on using a leftover cable for it, but it won't fit.  It doesn't use standard posts.  It only puts out 80A, so it really doesn't need to be this beefy, I might just cut the lug into a U and use the cable anyways.


I also wanted to cross something off the list today, so I finished up the trailer.  As soon as the paint dries, I can assemble it and list it for sale.  


The wheels are done too.  I didn't worry about overspray because the tires are dryrotted and need replacing anyways.

When I went and bought the last can of paint for the trailer, I also bought a can of urethane for the table, so I think I might work on that next.  The can I bought last year was the wrong stuff if anyone has an immediate for satin finish urethane.

2021 Projects:
  • Prepare summer equipment
  • Carport repair
  • Windows in shed
  • Shed supports
  • Table
  • South wall siding
  • Bridge over creek
  • Review options for house (mobile home vs stick built vs modular)
  • Trailer hub
  • Rebuild smaller trailer
  • Level back yard
  • Level side yard
  • Level front yard
  • Clear trees to creek
  • Remove dead/dying beech trees
  • Retaining walls?
  • Eliminate pile of crap in back
  • Camper Power Center (portable AC power source and generator)
  • Baffle box
  • Clean up/level area down by second parking spot
  • Driveway round three
  • Fix shed door.
  • Fix shed floor.

No comments:

Post a Comment