Sunday, June 6, 2021

Back to work.

The heat in NH is really starting to crank, but I got back to work today.  I went up and took another look at my shed.  At first I thought it was just the flooring bowing, but after getting a better look, I think the problem is a lot more serious.  It looks the floor joists came unattached from the side.  I didn't use metal joist hangers on the shed (nor beefy 16d nails), and it looks like now I am paying the price.  This will be simple but not easy to fix; it means I will have to remove the flooring, find a way to brace it up, and reattach them.  That is easily a two person job.  Time to add it to the list of projects, since this is a pretty serious structural failure and really ought to be fixed ASAP.


You can clearly see the bookshelf is leaning pretty badly. 


After that, I finally got around to stage 2 cleaning of the cot.  Last weekend I pulled it out for a trip on memorial day weekend, and found mice living in it.  A few days ago, I opened it up and did stage one which was drowning it in Lysol.  Today it got Simple Green'd.  


This bottle was almost full when I started.  I sprayed it until it stopped running off disgusting colors.


Next up was mowing.  I hadn't mowed in over two weeks, and it showed.  Parts of the back yard were knee deep.  Despite the fact that the deck has seemingly become unlevel (the right side sits visibly lower) it really doesn't look too bad when it mows.


The Cub Cadet's streak of consecutive mows stays at 1.  I got this far in the back yard before it croaked.  


Fortunately it was an easy fix.  It just threw the spring for the idler pulley.  I did get the rest of the back yard mowed after fixing it.  


After that I moved on to fixing the cap.  The new handles for the windows have arrived, so I had to remove the remains of the old ones.  They were rusted together, but the impact hammer came through in an unconventional manner.  It didn't get the nuts off, but the hammer completely destroyed the plastic innards allowing me to slide them right out.  


Unfortunately the new handles didn't come with a big enough spacer, so I will have to go pick up some nylon spacers and washers at Home Depot tonight.  


I also brushed off and got the trailer all primed and ready for painting tomorrow.  I pissed off some bees, so I am guessing they built a nest in the trailer somewhere.  I hope they like green.


Just the shed floor addition to the project list.  With any luck, I will cross off the little trailer tomorrow so I can get it listed for sale.  

2021 Projects:
  • Prepare summer equipment
  • Carport repair
  • Windows in shed
  • Shed supports
  • Table
  • South wall siding
  • Bridge over creek
  • Review options for house (mobile home vs stick built vs modular)
  • Trailer hub
  • Rebuild smaller trailer
  • Level back yard
  • Level side yard
  • Level front yard
  • Clear trees to creek
  • Remove dead/dying beech trees
  • Retaining walls?
  • Eliminate pile of crap in back
  • Camper Power Center (portable AC power source and generator)
  • Clean up/level area down by second parking spot
  • Driveway round three
  • Fix shed door.
  • Fix shed floor.

No comments:

Post a Comment