Tuesday, January 5, 2021

Working from the tiny home kind of stinks.

I have been attempting to work remotely this week from my tiny home and have discovered that it is really not properly equipped.  Internet aside (tethering my phone doesn't work well enough to really be productive), I don't have a proper table since I haven't finished building it yet.  That means that I am literally on my couch the entire day with the laptop on my lap.  Usually by 2 or 3 my back and shoulders are getting upset, since the only table I have is the ottoman, which means leaning hunched over all day.  The table might get a bump in priority.  I only have one piece left to stain and then I need to urethane it though, so it might have to wait until spring.

I haven't really done much since I got home.  I did find the culprit for the leak in the shed.  It is the fuel stabilizer.  The bottle has pretty much emptied itself.  It was a quarter full when I cleaned out the shed.


Also for Dad since I have never gave him a good picture of it:


I have been doing some research on fridges.  The next tiny home improvement idea is to take out my monster fridge and put in a smaller under counter unit and a separate in-cabinet freezer above the counter.  This will give me more counter space to better utilize the space that my fridge is occupying.  I only use maybe one shelf of my current fridge (less than a quarter of it).  I think I decided on going with this one, even though I am not a huge Magic Chef fan: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Magic-Chef-4-5-cu-ft-Mini-Fridge-with-True-Freezer-in-Stainless-Look-HMTR450SE/305026371#overlay


Unfortunately I haven't been able to find it in white, so my appliances won't all match anymore.  Oh well.  This one has a door shelf large enough to hold a gallon jug.  It has a separate freezer (not just a metal chiller) which is nice, though I have the freezer I got from Aunt and Uncle as well.  Here are some pictures of that unit:






That freezer is smaller than I thought it was, it is only 1.1 cubic foot.  It is smaller than the tiny dorm fridge in the shed. I thought it was 2 to 2.5.  Even in combination with the freezer on the fridge though, I am losing just under half of my freezer space.  My current freezer is around 3.5 cubic feet, but doesn't have any shelving and loses some for an ice maker that isn't hooked up.  I will definitely want to keep the old unit around for a while though just to be sure the smaller capacities are acceptable.  I would be losing around three quarters of my fridge space too.  

I am going to the LAN party this weekend, so I probably won't start anything until next week at the earliest.

2 comments: