Tuesday, January 26, 2021

Been doing unexciting stuff.

Last weekend was kind of chilly so I didn't do much.  I have been mostly going through and doing some digital cleanup on my PC.  I was originally looking at building a new PC so that when I built the entertainment center, I didn't have to fit a large (and mostly empty) mid tower in it, but I think what I might do instead is just pull the PC out of it completely, perhaps get a docking station, and just use my laptop to power the entertainment center.  It has enough juice to do it, and if I put all my stuff on the Drobo, it will have access to all my documents and stuff.

I went to the town meeting on broadband.  I will be in the first pass, which is expected to be completed mid to late fall.  So it looks like I will have an interesting decision to make this fall as to whether I get the tiny home to wired up for fiber or wait for the real house.  I don't really understand how it works, but apparently the infrastructure is "free".  The town gets a bond from the state, pays it to Fibercast, and then Fibercast does a rent to own type thing for the network and pays the bond until they have paid for the network.  They claim the installation of this network will not raise property taxes (it won't change the assessed value of the land).  I don't understand all the specifics, but the town treasurer was on board with the plan.  The only risk to the town is if Fibercast goes belly up the town might have to make a few payments on the bond until they can get another provider.  Unfortunately the Fibercast guy wasn't at this meeting (he was at the one that I missed), so I didn't get any information about their plans since the website is vague and not well designed, but I will worry about that later.  

Even though my W2 still isn't available online (last year it was available the first week of January), I will be paying off the land today, I finally have enough to cover it.  Time to start saving for the real house.

We are supposed to get a bunch of snow and even more cold this week through the weekend (below zero cold), so I think it might be time to go and get some of my heavier winter stuff out of the shed.  I am still debating on my next project, but perhaps now is a good time to do some work in the shed where I can fire up my salamander to take the edge off.

No comments:

Post a Comment