Wednesday, January 20, 2021

Nothing at Lowes either. Updated

UPDATE - I built up the online cart at work today, and came to a realization.  I am having a hard time justifying 500 dollars for a couple of cabinets I don't have an immediate need for (there is nothing planned to go into them and all my kitchen totes in the shed are empty), and an extra three feet of countertop.  The counter top would be nice, the little 2 foot section between the fridge and the bathroom is too small to be used as an appliances counter effectively, but I have a system that works already (even if it is obnoxious).  I am also still on the fence about the reduced capacities, it would really suck to shrink everything down and find myself constantly out of fridge or freezer space (or worse yet bring back a cooler of meat and only be able to fit half of it in the freezer).  So I think for the moment I am going to back away from the project.  It is a lot of expense for basically a couple feet of countertop.  It would definitely make the kitchen nicer, but there just isn't enough payback there.


I made a trip to Lowe's last night after work.  It wasn't productive.  They didn't have anything close either.  They had a similar style but in a different color which might be an option though.  It will be noticeably different, but perhaps not bad looking.

This was the closest they had.  This will kind of stick out I think.


They still had the same cabinets that I used in the kitchen too.


Interestingly they had a 15" variant too.  Not sure I have the space for that though.  The 12" already pushes the pantry very close to the coat hangers by the door.  And to be honest, I don't actually need more cabinet space.  This is just to hold up the other end of the counter.  Typically you only see 6" increments up to 36" and 1' increments after that.


I also came up with a complete list of what I need.  I will be headed up to Best Buy in Concord tonight to pick up the fridge.  They have the Frigidaire version on sale for 30 bucks cheaper than Home Depot has the Magic Chef.  I might stop by the Lowe's out that way and grab the cabinets and counters.  That would allow me to complete the project this weekend.  Given the current temperatures though, I am not sure how I am going to get all of this inside, since I can't leave any of it outside.  It is well below the fridge's operating temp outside right now, and I don't want to leave the counter outside because I will have to cut it, which means colder is more brittle and more likely to chip the formica.  Maybe I will leave the stuff outside and just bring it in Friday night and do the assembly on Saturday.  It is supposed to be really cold this weekend though.

No comments:

Post a Comment