Tuesday, April 16, 2019

Sadly no dishwasher until the hot water is ready.

I finished up hooking up the dishwasher the other night.  It turns out that the 3/8 hose wasn't actually 3/8, it was closer to half, so I ended up trying to use a PEX fitting.  It predictably leaked, even after cranking on the hose clamp.  It is kind of ridiculous that it takes almost 50 dollars worth of fittings (I sure wish I had a Humble Plumbing type place) to get the dishwasher hooked up, but it is finally there.


Despite leaking since it wasn't a proper barb fitting, I gave the dishwasher a go.  What I attempted was opening the second valve so and closing the first, so the only part of the hot lines live were the sink to the dishwasher.  I then tried to backfeed it by opening the mixer valve on the sink (run the sink on warm even though there isn't any hot water).  It failed; the disappointing flow rate of the sink, which was divided again didn't fill the dishwasher before it triggered the no water error. The idea wasn't a total failure; there was water in the bottom of the dishwasher, but it just wasn't filling fast enough.  It also filled enough that when it drained out what had filled, I got to see that the pex fitting idea failed.

1 comment:

  1. If you know what you need, I can stop by Humble Plumbing and pick it up for you

    ReplyDelete