Sunday, April 14, 2019

Nice weekend. I can do dishes again. Lots of pictures.

It turned out to be a really nice weekend after Friday.  I got the inspection bill for the car on Friday, and it was stout, right at 1800.  Ouch.  The car will have to last another year after that kind of bill.  Also annoying is that my truck apparently eats bulbs as well as brakes.  I lost yet another turning signal bulb on Friday, which brings the total to 5 bulbs in the last 3 years I have owned the truck.  Annoying. 

Saturday was really nice so I decided to start my annual genocide.  I got all my dunks out.  The bugs haven't really come out yet, so I don't think it is too late.  I am still on the fence as to their effectiveness; two years ago I think I put them out too late and they didn't work, and last year the bugs weren't bad, but the weather was brutal, weeks of 70s followed by a week below freezing, which is hard on them, so I am not sure if it was the dunks or the weather that killed them. 


I also walked around a bit to survey the condition of the lot.  There was a lot of wind damage over the winter. 


I took a look back at the trail, and it is still being used, there were fresh tracks and droppings on it.


Closer to the home, the crack in the slab now extends all the way across.  It has gotten bigger too. 


It was also warm enough that the door doesn't latch anymore.  When I came back the door was wide open.


I also noticed that the wind blew my ladder over.  It dislodged the screen and punched a small hole in it.




I got the screen put back in, though the hole isn't patched yet.


I also pulled out the cargo unloader so I can start getting gravel.  This of course was the first thing I saw.  Way to go Northern.  The white circle is a defect.


I also did realize that there was something I was supposed to bring down to KY and forgot: skirting.  I still have a few pieces leftover that I was going to bring down.  I have this cut one and an untouched 11ft panel.


Some bugs are already out though, since I had a visitor.  Not sure what kind of bug it is, not familiar with red ones.


I also noticed that with the new water, the toilet is cycling better.  I still need to clean the rust out, but the float is working much better.


Today was also really nice.  I spent part of the day outside, working on my bike and giving it a tune up until I broke the valve stem putting air in the back tire.  I will get that fixed this week.  I also worked on the kitchen sink.  It isn't complete, but it is functional.  I ran out of pex clamps, so the hot water isn't hooked up yet, but the cold is and works.  The throughput on this faucet is very disappointing.  It only pushes through 0.9GPM, whereas the bathroom runs at 1.1GPM.  Typically kitchen faucets are in the neighborhood of 3GPM.


It looks kinda odd with the dual shutoffs, but it works.


In case anyone forgot, I hate PVC work.  With that out of the way, this actually went nice and smooth and everything was perfect on the first try.  I had to use some strange orange PVC cement (my clear stuff had gelled and orange was all Home Depot had in stock), but it is connected and is water tight.  It is a little strange to have such a long drop, but that is because I didn't put a tall enough riser on the sanitary tee for the drain.  Oops.


Due to many issues with plumbing, I have tons of spare parts if anyone needs any.  If dad wants, I can bring them down since I know you still have to redo a bathroom.  I am completely done with PVC work at this point, the kitchen sink was the last piece, so I have no need for any of them.


I will try to finish the kitchen sink and perhaps the stove tonight.  Anx is coming up this evening to give me a ride to pick up my car, so that will be returning home. 

No movement on the checklist.

4 comments:

  1. So when is the next trip south??

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess it is time to get the deadbolt functioning. And yes, I will take whatever PVC fittings are left over.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The deadbolt has already been modified to work, I did it last summer so I didn't have to hold the door closed with a strap.

      Delete