Sunday, December 16, 2018

Lazy Saturday, but still made progress

It was nice to not spend my whole weekend at work.  Saturday I slept a lot and was incredibly lazy.  I did go look at a dishwasher, which looked pretty bad and didn't have a top sprayer, but the dealbreaker was the almost sickening smell when I opened it.  It appeared that they never drained it, and it hadn't been used in a while.  I also got a hold of Barry, and unfortunately the gravel pile that I got a few loads from last year is a sold block, so I can't really use that.  I did pick a few things, but didn't really accomplish too much. 

I got up early this morning so I could get through town before it got bad.  I made a miscalculation.  I got a 2x6 and a 2x8 for the bed, but the bed was too thick, if I fold up at edge of only the 2x8 , the bed is too thick.  So I tried to do this, where it doesn't sit on the 2x6.  When I leaned on it though, it was pretty clear that this orientation is not strong enough.  So I will need to up it to a 2x10 and put it back on top.  I looked at just using 5" brackets, but the ones at home depot are only rated for around 65 lbs, so I would need a very large number of them. 


I also got the trim boards cut for the edge.  I am doing this mostly to limit the draft that comes in from this end of the house.  I will be putting it up this evening, I brought the air compressor in.


I also built the first shelving unit for the bathroom.  I miscalculated the amount of wood I needed though.  I still have a few of the deeper scraps that I could rip to the right depth, though I was intending to use them as shelves in the laundry room.  I made the shelves adjustable, since I am not sure how I want to store everything.


So much for following the directions.  They aren't supposed to be at that angle, it means that the drill bit the directions said to use was too large.  I will probably leave it alone unless I have a problem with it though.


I do have the long pieces cut for the other shelves.


I also cut some trim.  I was surprised how hard it is to find plastic trim.  This was the only stuff Home Depot had. 


I don't know what was up this weekend, but I saw more cops since Friday than I saw on the whole trip down at Thanksgiving.

You may notice that this is posted awfully early.  We are in the process of getting some really nasty stuff (In Keene it is a mix of rain and snow.  In Sullivan it was a mix of sleet, snow, and ice), so I decided to bail while I could still get out.  I also picked up everything I need to do the gas work for the stove.

I unmarked the propane as being in progress since I haven't really set anything up yet, and the bed frame is started.
  1. Install bathroom fixtures.
  2. Get hot water heater installed.
  3. Install some form of cabinets in the kitchen.
  4. Install kitchen sink.
  5. Install kitchen appliances.
  6. Get propane installed.
  7. Build bed frame.
  8. Build closets.
  9. Install table.
  10. Smooth driveway enough to plow/clear
  11. Fix snowblower.  
  12. Winterize equipment (mower, undercoat the truck, etc).
  13. Clear slab
  14. Shed work
    1. Extend roof to prevent snow pushing on the side.
    2. Fix pilings

2 comments:

  1. could you use triangle shaped pieces for braces for the bed frame? They would add a lot of support

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Only on the ends, otherwise the couch has to move forward

      Delete