Thursday, December 7, 2023

Travel thoughts on my truck vs a van (no pictures, just a blob of text)

I have really done much during the week, mostly just cleaning and organizing, since I have been going in and coming home in the dark, and I haven't been motivated to do much.  I have the new cubes on order (my Walmart sadly didn't have any).  My Christmas shopping is done though.  My new TV should be in next week too.

After the troubles with the cap on my last trip, I have been doing some thinking about the method of traveling.  I saw a lot of converted vans on this trip, and it is pretty clear that a converted van is a superior option.  I believe they are smaller exterior dimension-wise (my truck doesn't fit in parking spaces in a lot of places), would have more living space, are more convenient (aka don't need a step ladder to get into), you can stand up in them, and everything is one space, which means freezing and stuff is less of an issue. They are also insulated, and typically have privacy glass which makes stealth camping and stuff a lot easier and safer.

Having said that, while it is pretty clear that the cap that I built was a failure, I am not ready to write off the whole idea of building a camper in the back of my truck; I like the idea, it's just the one I built wasn't up to snuff.

Thinking outside of traveling (since that isn't the most common use case for my vehicle), a van can do all the things (with a caveat) that I need a truck for: it can haul lumber and supplies, it can tow my tractor, and things like that.  The Ford Transit uses the exact same driveline components (at least engine and transmission) that my truck has.  The only place vans fall short, and this is a pretty big failing, is that the only 4x4 van on the market is the Mercedes Sprinter.  The Ford Transit is only AWD, which should be adequate in NH winters.  Also worth noting that most vans aren't compatible with aftermarket differential locks, so odds are I can't even get an aftermarket limited slip for it.  The Ram ProMaster is a FWD so it at least has a fighting chance in the snow,  though I remember many times my Nissan (FWD) not making it up my driveway.

Each of the vans have major drawbacks.  Here is my findings on them
  • The Mercedes Sprinter, 
    • The most common choice for conversions.
    • Available 4x4
    • Uses a small 4 cylinder diesel.  Diesel's have longer driveline lifetimes, and more amenable maintenance schedules.
      • Diesel's however require DEF and regeneration.
    • I have found a ton of conflicting information, but the majority say it gets absolutely terrible mileage (think 14/18).  
    • Mercedes' vehicles are in general more expensive to repair as well.  Parts are not normally stocked.
    • Can only be worked on by Mercedes dealers, and only ones with certified Sprinter mechanics.
      • Not every dealer (the estimates I have seen range from 33% to 67% of Mercedes dealers) can work on it.
    • Has a lot of stupid annoying stuff, like it still uses a prop rod in a really inconvenient spot, you have to remove the floor pan to get to the battery, doesn't come with dipsticks for checking the oil, etc.  
    • They have a worse UI than Ford (which is an accomplishment in a bad way)
    • There are tons of conversion parts for them due to being the "elder" van choice, but in general are shaped very poorly for converting due to heavy curvature on walls
  • The Ford Transit 
    • Ford has the best feature set of all vans
    • Available AWD
    • Only model with an available extended range gas tank.
    • Ford is routinely near the bottom of all reliability and quality metrics.
    • I know from my truck that Ford's software is stinky doodoo.
    • It is also the most expensive van.  By a lot.  
      • I priced out 4 vans: a Ford Transit, a Ram Promaster, a Mercedes Sprinter, and a Chevy Express.  The Ram was the cheapest when customized at around 52k.  The Chevy was only 53k, but was missing a lot of the features and their configuration options were retarded (I was forced into a 6.6L V8 for example). The Mercedes came in at 56k.  Then you had the Ford at 67k.  Ouch.  
      • The Ford did have the best feature set, but still...  Plus in addition to all this, I would be looking at probably around 10-20k to convert it.  
    • The height options stink for me; the mid-height is 5'11" before adding ceiling and floor.  I won't be able to stand in that after adding a ceiling and floor.  Their next height option is an obnoxious 6'8".
    • Requires extra attention when converting if you want a cross-ways bed.  It isn't natively wide enough if you just panel the walls.  But a cross-ways bed is possible.
    • Funny ceiling curvature may make building cabinets more time consuming, and you will lose some space in the front because it angles down quicker than the others
  • The RAM ProMaster
    • Still uses a Chrysler Pentastar engine.  This is a very old engine design that isn't known for longevity.
    • Front wheel drive.  No hope of upgrading that.
      • I saw several Youtube videos where people got stuck...  On wet grass.
    • Very very little ground clearance.  But also lowest/easiest to get in and out of.
    • Best for converting; it is the widest on the inside by several inches (it is natively wide enough for a cross ways bed.  Height is perfect for me at 6'3".  
    • Is relatively square, making construction easy.
    • Reports are that it has the best fuel mileage.
  • The Chevy Express
    • Didn't have any typical conversion features, like swiveling seats.
    • Really obnoxious package configurations.  I was basically forced to upgrade to the 6.6L V8 in order to have any interior packages (think cruise control).
    • Comes with virtually no conversion options.
    • Chevy has in recent history made a habit of designing things poorly, and then not covering the repairs due to poor design (like their 5.3L V8s that burn oil from the factory brand new).  As you might expect, they rank pretty low on quality and reliability.

So with that in mind (basically axing the Sprinter and Chevy), I see three options:
  • Bite the bullet, pony up the big bucks, and go with a Ford Transit.
  • Go with a Promaster, and pick up a cheap AWD used car for winter driving and commuting.
    • With how crazy the used car market is at the moment, I would want to verify that cheap AWD cars are actually available.  I did briefly look at Craigslist and found a few, but they weren't plentiful.  That adds 5k to the cost of  the option though, plus recurring insurance, registration, and maintenance costs.  
    • Keep in mind that I didn't replace the Nissan for a reason.
  • Stick with the pickup.  Get a real cap and lift kit, and try again.  Basically kick the can down the road.

I think I am going to stick with the pickup, and get a real cap.  Even if it isn't convenient for traveling, for me this is for travelling only; I am not living in it.  That way I can push off the van decision until the end of my current truck's life (which will be about 5-6 years at my current rate of miles).  It is possible my needs will have changed by then, and the cap required for short term adds value to the truck. Building the conversion furnishings shouldn't be a waste of effort; they should be reusable or at least valuable learnings.  In addition, they do make campervans that you can rent.  I saw several from Travellers, Karma, and Escape on this trip.  Perhaps I should rent one and see just how much nicer they really are?  See if it is worth spending 20k for a handful of trips a year, even if one of those trips is a full month long.  In another year I get my fourth week of vacation, so I will likely start doing two trips a year instead of one really long one.  

It is supposed to be fairly nice on Saturday, so I am hoping to get a bunch of the items done this weekend.

Current To-do:
  • ASAP
    • Shorten PTO shaft for snowblower
    • Final mowing of leaves?
    • Winterize equipment
  • Winter projects: 
    • All the cabinet upgrades (bathroom, pantry, and kitchen)
    • Design deck
    • Build armoire.
    • Install whole house filter.
    • Shelving upgrades in master closet.
    • Access panel upgrades in master closet
    • Install cube organizer in living room.
  • 2024 Projects:
    • Back yard drainage.  Complete Mortgage.
    • Insulate the water lines
    • Take scrap metal to Buffum
    • Close up tiny home.  Seal up plumbing.
    • Deck
    • Entertainment center
    • Storm doors

No comments:

Post a Comment