Tuesday, December 12, 2023

Long but soggy weekend

I had a long weekend (I took Monday off) though it was a wet and soggy weekend.  Saturday started off dry though, so I got started on some of my outdoor backlog of tasks.  I started off changing out the air filter in  my truck.  I got a new K&N for it.  It sounds better (less whooshing when the turbo engages), time will tell if it helps with the gas mileage, though I would expect not.  Modern engines control air flow fairly well to begin with.  This filter looks pretty dirty considering it only has 30k on it.


I also got the stands for my hood adjusted.  The hood of my truck was wobbling when I drove down the highway.  It was tightly latched, but this should prevent the wobble.  


I then started on the mowers and getting them ready for winter.  It took a lot of pulls, but I finally got the push mower running and got it run out of gas.  Everything was still soggy though, so I didn't bother trying to mulch any of the leaves.  At this point, I am not going to bother.


Shortly after I got that started, I ran the long extension cord to hook up power in the carport again.  


The lawn tractor was another story however.  My battery charger wouldn't even charge its battery, it immediately went to recondition.  I tried using the jump start on it, and it wouldn't even turn over.  


So while it was reconditioning, I went out and picked up all the drainage pipe pieces that had been scattered all over the yard.  


I also decided to rearrange the carport around the lawn tractor.  It looks much better.  


As I was rearranging, I did see this, which was a little concerning.  This fall has been very wet (and was fixing to get moreso), and there was a sheet of ice underneath the tractor.  


I then went and gave Mahes a hand picking up a bunk bed.  

Fortunately I went out Saturday night to check on the battery reconditioning (which still hadn't completed) so I unplugged it.  If it hadn't finished by then, it was never going to finish.  Apparently they delivered my TV while I was out though.  So Amazon has successfully been wrong about the delivery date (most later, but the TV was early) on every single purchase I have made this shopping season.  If I hadn't seen it, it would have been in a puddle when it rained on Sunday.

Sunday the rain came.  I did go out and try to jump the lawn tractor with my truck before it started though.  Even with my truck behind it though it only barely turned over once.  That is a problem.  I knew the battery was toast, but I didn't expect it to completely suck the life out of the whole electrical system.  I can close the fuel shut off and then remove the fuel line to drain the gas out of the engine (I think).  Hopefully that will be sufficient since the gas in the engine is not stabilized.  


Most of Sunday was spent setting up the new TV.  It turns out the feet are angled too far out for my current stand, but fortunately the TV has a set of inner feet hookups.  



It isn't as stable on those though.  It doesn't help that the feet on these are the cheapest I have ever seen.


But it worked with the switch, which was a relief.  Ever since I had to swap to the backup Westinghouse, the Switch had apparently stopped working.  I guess the two were just not compatible or something though.  No idea why; HDMI is pretty standardized and everything else (laptop, receiver, etc) worked fine with it.

But the new TV is all set up and running.  It is nice to have my sound system back.


And then it rained.  And rained.  And rained some more.  Monday started off wet too.  It had changed to snow, but it was melting as fast as it was falling.


As expected my creek is high.  Very high.



The back yard is really really bad.  I almost wonder if I would have been better off leaving the trench there.  I was worried about the slab shifting with part of its support bank dug up, but this is worse.  Oh well, too late to do anything about it now.  


I didn't have too much to do on Monday.  I intended to get a hair cut, but apparently they are closed Mondays too now.  It might be time to find a new place.  It feels like SuperCuts gets less friendly and one step closer to shutting its doors every time I go there.  I also went and got a quote for the cap.  The ARE cap is 2400 installed (plus the rails on top).  The place in Keene had never even heard of the ez-lift kit though, which is concerning considering they are an ARE approved accessory.  They had Leer caps too, though they were 2800 and didn't include installation.  I think I might try to find another dealer though.  

I also went and poked around these guys: https://truckcamperwarehouse.com/ just for completeness sake.  They only had one unit that I would even consider putting in a half ton (from a weight perspective) though, and it was for a short bed.  Most of their campers were around 3000lbs.  While I have had that much weight in the back of my truck before, I certainly wouldn't travel across the country with that much weight in the back.  I know they do make lightweight ones that would fit (like this: https://fourwheelcampers.com/model/grandby-model-pop-up-truck-camper-leader-full-size-trucks/) but they didn't have anything close to that on their lot.

The last stop was at the eyeglass shop.  It is unfortunately time to call time of death on my sunglasses.  They said that style hinge was not repairable.  Fortunately they weren't obnoxiously expensive.

I did start doing some design work on the armoire, but forgot to take a picture of it, so it will be in the next post.

Current To-do:
  • ASAP
    • Shorten PTO shaft for snowblower
    • Final mowing of leaves?
    • Winterize equipment
  • Winter projects: 
    • All the cabinet upgrades (bathroom, pantry, and kitchen)
    • Design deck
    • Build armoire.
    • Install whole house filter.
    • Shelving upgrades in master closet.
    • Access panel upgrades in master closet
    • Install cube organizer in living room.
  • 2024 Projects:
    • Back yard drainage.  Complete Mortgage.
    • Insulate the water lines
    • Take scrap metal to Buffum
    • Close up tiny home.  Seal up plumbing.
    • Deck
    • Entertainment center
    • Storm doors

No comments:

Post a Comment