Monday, October 3, 2022

Lots of little things.

My plans for Saturday got cancelled, so I did a bunch of smaller things around the place.  I checked the gas mileage in the truck.  This was most (3/4) of a tank that was just commuting with the odd Tractor Supply run and all that.  The computer said 21.4, and I measured 21.1.  So it appears that the truck is similar to the Nissan; the Nissan was dead on driving back and forth to work, but got really optimistic on long trips.  


I started Saturday off by cleaning the air filter in my heat pump and getting it ready for winter.  It wasn't bad at all, it is usually much dirtier, though I didn't run the AC that much this summer.


After that I spent some time up in the shed.  I got the wire rack assembled.  This is definitely its last hurrah unless I can find new clips for it.  On several of them, I had to hold them with a clamp to keep the plastic clips from shifting.


The front corner of the shed is cleared out though, so I am ready to cut the floor and start working on the other half of the shed flooring.  


Reorganizing the rack that got moved allowed me to load it up more efficiently.  I think I might try this arrangement, at least until I get the floor finished.  I am not sure I like that arrangement for the corner, but we shall see.


I am thinking of going camping next weekend, so I pulled out my camping stuff.  The totes were fine.  It smelled a little funky in the tote, but after not being opened for a couple of years, that isn't too surprising.


My full frame pack for backpacking wasn't left alone though.  Thankfully the damage from the mice is minimal.  They chewed up the side strap a little, but not enough to think it is structurally compromised.


I left it outside to air out a bit.  It also smelled a little funky.  Not like disgusting mouse funky, just musty type funky.  I also aired out my sleeping bag, which was thankfully also left alone, though I think it had a mothball in it.  I will probably need both of my sleeping bags this coming weekend, it gets chilly at night now.


After that I went and dropped the grading blade off, and went and cleaned up the front.  Two bags of trash, and one small bucket of rocks.


Sunday I continued on working on the slab and carport.  When I took a break for lunch though, I had some visitors.  


I got my tent setup.  I even mostly remembered how to set it up, I only made one small mistake, I clipped the hooks onto the poles before I had finished straightening the top.  


I went out Sunday morning before the crowds got bad with the intent of putting this stuff in totes (the sleeping bag, and pack that got chewed on were in a box that was chewed through).  Some things, like the tents, weren't in totes or boxes.  Unfortunately the totes I got were too small.  Oops.



Once I finished getting all that stuff fixed up and put back away I did a few other small things.  I got the anti-gel put in the tractor.


I took down the bug zapper.  I discovered when I was winding up the extension cord for it that it apparently got damaged.  I am not too worried, it was a cheap cord, and it was only the outermost layer that got damaged, but I don't recall this happening.  


I also got my hose drained and put away.  Normally not, but sometimes it is nice to live on a hill.


The hose holder is now hanging in the carport for the winter.


I haven't quite finished cleaning out the carport, but it is much better than it was.  


I have to fold up the tarp, but the slab is done (other than the camping stuff sitting there, but I will be using that this coming weekend).  


The shovels are out and all that is ready for winter.


We are in peak foliage season now in Sullivan.  




Keene is getting really close, and depending on how you define peak might be considered there.  So here are some more fall pictures from the weekend.





I think for this year I am just going to store the power center in the carport.  You may have noticed that it was sitting on the sawhorses in the corner.  I use that as a work bench, but oh well.  I don't use it all that much during the winter anyways.  There are lots of little things crossed off the list this weekend though.

Before winter:
  • Deal with town and get the variance.
  • Finish distributing pile of dirt.
  • Determine method of clearing snow. 
  • Driveway winter prep.
  • Clean off the slab.  
  • Clean out the carport.  Decide what to do with the power center.
  • Mulch the leaves.
  • Ensure the shed will make it through the winter.  Shed pilings
  • Knock down the dead knotweed. 
  • Winterize equipment.  
    • Run mowers out of gas, put diesel treatment in the tractor, change oil in snowblower, rearrange the carport, put weight in the back of the truck, prep heat pump (clean filter), disconnect hose.  Fire up generator.  Take down bug zapper. Charge the power center batteries
    • Also note that my tractor is due for its first servicing.
  • Install the driveway markers.
Winter projects: 
  • Get the building permit.
  • Complete detailed house plans.
  • Work with La Valley to get a concrete contractor.  Get the plan/schedule in place. 
  • Design future method of travel.  Consider building the prototype.
  • Shed floor.
  • Shed windows.
  • Fix generator box.  Decide/do something about power center.
  • Clear/mark walking trails.

No comments:

Post a Comment