Monday, September 19, 2022

Gorgeous Weekend

I wasn't terribly productive over the weekend, but I still got out some.  For whatever reason, I have apparently been running a sleep deficit, and slept in until well past double digits both days.  

Saturday was pretty much perfect.  I went out and sprayed down the knotweed again.  I also spent part of the day doodling outside on the slab enjoying the day.  This was mostly working on the future method of travel.  I measured the bed of my truck, and I will need some lifters.  They make kits like these https://topperezlift.com/  though I will probably have to build my own.  Because the truck is angled, I will need more lift than these things provide.  The bed on my truck is rather shallow; it is only about 20" from the bottom of the bed to the top of the bedrails, and the cap will only offer an extra 20" or so.  Even with a 17" lift kit, I wouldn't even make 5 feet, and if I am going to put a lifter on it, I want to be able to stand.  I will likely need at least a 24", maybe 36".  I will need to do that measurement when I get a cap for it.

I also got a bit restless and went for a long walk around Otter Brook in the afternoon.  The album is here:

Some highlights: given how nice it was on Saturday, I was surprised that it was empty.


I didn't know there was a launch there.  The park is closed for the season, so I would have to carry in almost a mile though.


The dam at the far end.


I saw some foliage, but we are still a ways from peak (if we even get a peak this year).


Sunday I went and mowed most of the yard.  I didn't do the downside of the drain field since there was still standing water in it.  While I had the riding mower out, I went and did a few passes over where I have been leveling, and I didn't really need to do as much as I did over there, the slope didn't bother the riding mower at all.


I also realized that this was the first time I had mowed the other side of the front where I had done all the leveling.  It handled it just fine, though there were a few spots that needed some touch up leveling. 


This area was among the worst, the edge of the gravel.


I still had times before the rain came in, so I went and fixed those areas I noted while mowing.


I also worked on the other side a little bit, smoothed out all the piles.  


The dirt pile continues to diminish.  


As an aside, I noticed when I was mowing that there were turkey feathers everywhere.  Kind of makes me wonder if the bobcat got one.



I have also completed the new to-do list for winter, along with some quick blurbs about what it entails/what the goal is.

Before winter:
  • Deal with town.  
    • Get the variance.
  • Finish distributing pile of dirt.
    • This is just I want it be gone, and it can't be done during the winter.
  • Determine method of clearing snow. 
    • Am I going to get a new snowblower (3 pt or walk behind)?  Another used one?  Rebuild my POS? Take my chances with my current snowblower?  It runs, but poorly. Etc.
  • Driveway prep.
    • The new truck has dug up the driveway a bit.  This is some final smoothing so I don't break shear pins like a boss.
  • Clean off the slab.  
  • Clean out the carport.  Decide what to do with the power center.
  • Mulch the leaves.
  • Ensure the shed will make it through the winter.
    • Check the blocks, make sure they aren't undermined or anything.  
    • Put in concrete pilings if necessary.
  • Knock down the dead knotweed. 
    • I at least want to knock down the knotweed, even if the land isn't reclaimed for lawn (ie rocks and trash removed).
    • To a much lesser degree, this could be done during the winter as long as it isn't buried under feet of snow.
  • Winterize equipment.  
    • Run mowers out of gas, put diesel treatment in the tractor, change oil in snowblower, rearrange the carport, put weight in the back of the truck, prep heat pump (clean filter), disconnect hose.  Fire up generator.  Take down bug zapper.
    • Also note that my tractor is due for its first servicing.
  • Install the driveway markers.
Winter projects: 
  • Get the building permit.
  • Complete detailed house plans.
  • Work with La Valley to get a concrete contractor.  Get the plan/schedule in place. 
  • Design future method of travel.  Consider building the prototype.
  • Shed floor.
  • Shed windows.
  • Fix generator box.  Decide/do something about power center.
  • Clear/mark walking trails.

1 comment: