Tuesday, February 2, 2021

Winter shenanigans. 8-12 was actually 8+12.

It was cold last weekend.  I also noticed something while it was cold: there is a draft that comes in under the door.  Short term I fixed it with a random piece of foam.  I didn't put in any of the expanding foam underneath the door, just a layer of silicone to seal it since the door frame was directly on the floor subframing.  It appears that the silicone is no longer doing its job.



It was cold enough that the pipes for the washer froze.  Last year they were fine down to about -20.  We only got to -14 this time though.  So I had to wait until Sunday late afternoon to do my laundry.



Yesterday and through last night we got a nor'easter.  We were only forecasted to get 8-12", but it came out closer to 8+12".  It is hard to measure because of the wind, but I think we got 16-18".  The cinder blocks holding down the tarp on the siding I never put up went from bare to completely buried, and they are 16" long and behind the carport, so not much drifting.  The slab had close to two feet on it, but down by the road there was only a little over a foot, so I am not sure.  



I forgot that I never repaired/replaced my boots.  Oh well, they still kept my feet warm and under me this morning.



The wind was definitely blowing though, it got into the far corner and even covered the top of the Craftsman tractor.



One thing I noticed: no oil stain.  It appears that the tractor leaks a little when it is parked and then that is it.   



I used the snowblower to clear the driveway today since 18" is taller than the blade I have on the tractor.  My snowblower has developed a new interesting problem; pushing the throttle cable all the way down didn't shut it off. I had to wiggle it and raise and lower it several times to get it to shut off.  Looks like the throttle cable needs to be greased or replaced.



I didn't finish all the clearing before I went in to work, so I will finish it up tonight.  We definitely have enough snow to warrant pulling out my snowshoes and doing some exploring though.  

1 comment:

  1. Well, Hello winter. You must stay in the north east and vacate the south central part of the country!

    ReplyDelete