Monday, November 16, 2020

Finished up the AC cover, fetched some rocks. Goodbye Nissan.

 I went out late last week and picked up the siding.  It is now present.  


It was kind of chilly and wet Saturday morning.  The ice froze in a neat looking pattern on the car.  




The fog looked kind of neat too.  



I went to go install the siding, but I think I want the wall to dry out first, I don't want to trap moisture in the wall.  The Home Depot housewrap I used is a weave (like a tarp), it isn't the solid plastic like the Tyvek.  As a result, water does still sometimes pass through it.  There is still a little moisture in the wall.  I ended up covering the siding and putting blocks on it to hopefully minimize the curling.  



First I went out and did a wi-fi survey.  Hannaford's wifi was unreliable (sometimes the speedtest wouldn't even run), but McDonalds was decent.  I got an obnoxious result on the first test, but it settled in around 20Mbit down.  The uplink was pretty consistent at 11Mbit.  



So instead I went and fetched some rocks.  Greg had a pile that he wanted to get rid of.  I had intended to put a tarp down in the utility trailer and use that, but it had other ideas unfortunately.  Something else to look into in the spring.  My guess is it needs a new hub.  




It doesn't look like much, but it was enough to completely flatten the back end of my truck, even despite most of the weight being in front of the axle.



I finished filling in the hole in my front yard.  Again.  



I put the rest in a pile.  At that point it was after dark.  The short days suck.



Sunday I sold the Nissan.  It is crazy to think that the Nissan is literally a quarter of my life.  

While I was waiting for the guy to show up for it, I did finish the AC cover.  Just in time too, we got some nasty storms last night.  A lot of large sleet, and a lot of wind.  I had no issues with ice buildup in the heat pump last night though.  While it is still too early to call it a success, it certainly holds promise.  



I also went and got another load of rock, which is still in the back of my truck.  I plan on working remote this afternoon as a dry run for whether everything is going to work, so during lunch I will go unload rocks.  After lunch I will head back to McDonalds (they had the best wifi in town), buy a burger so I don't feel bad about using large amounts of data and see how it goes.

At this point, I am unlikely to complete anything remaining on the checklist before I head to KY.  There is a slim chance I might try to at least a couple pieces of siding up, but I effectively have no daylight outside of short bursts at lunch.  The house went all last winter without siding on it though, and the windows aren't critical to be done before winter (they can be done during winter), so there is no worries.

  • Support the shed (either pilings or add additional bracing)
  • Get windows installed in the shed
  • Paint the carport
  • Re-route the electrical cords
  • Install driveway markers
  • Get chains and a blade
  • Finish moving piles around (gravel and dirt)
  • Grade the driveway
  • Install acrylic and braces in carport.
  • Realign the front door
  • Winterize mowers
  • Shut off hose.
  • Install siding on south wall.

No comments:

Post a Comment