Wednesday, March 7, 2018

So much for an early spring

The storm last weekend left dropped more snow than expected, I am guessing around 6-8 inches in Sullivan.  It was all rain in Keene, and only about an inch of snow at my apartment.  I went to NYC for Krass' birthday and drove through the heart of the storm much to my dismay.  I had expected that as I got further south it would be all rain, but that turned out to be a lie.  The interstates most of the way down were backed up because you couldn't see the road, the signs were completely coated, so I had to trust my GPS.  What a mistake.  For whatever reason it decided to take me in on a different route than normal, which sent me through some of the heaviest traffic near the city.  It took me almost an hour to cross the George Washington bridge on I95.  That aside though, the trip was worth it.  I got to play with a lot of VR (virtual reality) stuff, which was pretty awesome. 

On the homestead front, we are supposed to be getting another monster storm today.  I have seen anywhere from 6-10 to 12-20.  It is supposed to be wet snow too unfortunately, so I know what I will be doing all weekend.  I fired up the snowblower last night to clear the bank by the road, and it didn't run worth a damn.  I didn't put any of the carb cleaner in the last batch of gas, so I will pick some up before I go and abuse it.  It has also been a month since it last ran, which is why I decided to go up and test it.

I have been looking at new cameras, but I think instead I am going to replace my phone.  The battery life in my phone has become pretty unsavory, and I would likely have to replace it in the next year or so anyways, so I think that is a better use of money.  I am looking at a Moto G5 Plus, so it isn't an expensive one; I can then wait and buy a slightly nicer camera when the time comes that I need it.  Bringing a camera to the work site has resulted in the deaths of the last couple of cameras, but my phone survived.  The phone has a decent camera in it, it should be on par with the camera that just recently no longer counted itself among the living, though I lose the optical zoom.

1 comment: