Saturday, February 3, 2018

Long overdue update.

Last weekend Rachel was here.  One of the things we did was go up and visit the ice castles in Lincoln.  They were a little smaller than I was hoping but still really cool and worth it.  The ice castle photos can be found here:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/4nYuoUO2sCtV4own1

I worked late most of the week, and didn't get much done, but did get up there today with the wheeler.  It fired right up despite it being really cold. 


Along with its shiny new tires.  They are mud tires, not snows, but I expect most of its use will be mud.


I thought there was a cover on this, but the cable is at least secured which it wasn't before.


Despite the ice we got last week being all snow up there, the truck drove up with no issue.  It was about 4-5" deep. 


The bank at the end was deep enough that the wheeler was dragging.


I cleared a few parts by hand, since I haven't repaired the plow yet.  I did up by the house. 


And down by the road and mailbox. 


It was chilly when I got there, but when the sun came out, it warmed up pretty nice.  I decided to go and play for a bit.  Not the most productive decision, but it was fun.  I made a lot of tracks up to the shed. 


Hey look, my driveway is cleared...


I also went down and checked out the creek.  It is still mostly skinned over, though water was running underneath.  I wasn't brave enough to take the wheeler in it. 


Unfortunately my back yard isn't really big enough to play too much.  The wheeler has a surprisingly large turning radius.  I was able punch it around and toss some snow though.  Not really deep enough to drift with a 4 wheel drive that has new tires on it.


I also did some exploring.  I tried to go up the hill beside the shed.  It didn't make it.  I could have made it with some velocity but that isn't a real good idea up there.  Common sense got the better of me and I didn't try it.


I did however go around the other side and rode up to the back of the shed. 


It wasn't an easy ride, it is rougher than it looks.  Those trees and the debris was no match for the wheeler though.


This is where I went up from the back yard.


After a couple of hours, I had my fill of fun, and covered it up.  You might have noticed that apparently the repair shop's overflow for wheelers that they aren't working on was outside.  I did at least cover it with a tarp.  At least mostly anyways.  Most of the tarp was frozen into the ground. 


I might get up there tomorrow to do some work, though if it is as snowy and icy as predicted, I might pass and stay home and work on the chair.  I also grabbed my spare wood while I was up there, so I have the 2x6 needed to repair the plow.  I might work on that tomorrow instead.  I did check on the house while I was up there, and for the most part, the insulation seemed untouched, which was good.  One little corner looks like a mouse might have investigated it, but it wasn't living in it.

Go Eagles! 

No comments:

Post a Comment