Saturday, February 11, 2017

Survived the first leg of the snow marathon.

We have a bit of a snow marathon going on.  We got 6-8" yesterday, and are supposed to get another 8-12" tomorrow, and then another 5-8" on Thursday.  The snowblower wouldn't survive trying to do all of it at once, so I will be snowblowing a lot over the next week.

I started it last night, just enough to get my truck parked.  It took around an hour, and since I was parked on the road, I left my four way flashers on.  That turned out to be a big mistake, since apparently my battery, while only a year old and a 750CCA battery, puked.  To add insult to injury, my jumper cables are in my car, since that battery is not large and is very old, and has started to struggle a bit in bitter cold.  Thankfully Anx was still up, so we stopped at Walmart and I have a second set of jumper cables now.  Interesting side note, Anx's car is a Dodge Charger, and the battery is not visible from the engine compartment.  The jumper posts for it are on the fuse box.  Needless to say, the truck will be getting a new battery sooner rather than later, the car can wait until next year.

Today went a lot smoother.  I have been running carburetor cleaner through it, which has helped quite a bit.  In case anyone is interested, the Mechanic in a Bottle from Home Depot seems to work a lot better than STP fuel injector cleaner.  While I am still running it with a single click of choke, I can change the throttle of the engine without it stalling out.  It still is lacking in horsepower, but it didn't stall out when bogged as bad as before.  Maybe by the end of the winter it will be running good.

The entire driveway is done.  I didn't break any shear pins this time either.  There is still a ~4" layer of ice underneath the snow, which is why it doesn't look well cleared, since it started to come up in spots, but it is good enough.  I still needed 4WD to get my truck up the hill, but I don't think the Nissan will have any issues.




Not sure how this happened, I must have parked in a snowbank or something...  This is stiff plastic, so it doesn't bend back readily.  I will have to do something with it, it sounds awful when driving down the road.


I tried to clear in front of the mailbox, but I think it is so densely packed that I will need a metal shovel to get through it.  I will need to do this soon, my PO box runs out next month, and I really don't want to renew it.

3 comments: