Saturday, December 3, 2016

Fiberglass laid, another thing checked off the list.

Today was a productive day.  I got the supports installed in the shed, and checked another item off the list.


I also got everything prepped for fiberglass.


I did it in two parts.  One per sheet of fiberglass.  The first sheet didn't go well, though it was my first time ever doing fiberglass work.  I learned a lot of things.


I completed the top.


I need to figure out something for the sides.  I tried just wrapping the cloth and dousing it with resin, but it didn't stick.  I might just put a layer of resin on it and call it good enough.


A list of things I learned:

  • First and foremost, DO NOT use a foam brush.  The resin is too thick and heavy, and it tears the foam apart.  It also doesn't have enough rigidity to put a nice finish on it.
  • Mat would have been a much better choice than cloth.  The cloth comes apart when tugging on it trying to press the air bubbles out.
  • It is easier to pour it on the wood and then spread it out with the brush.  
  • It uses a lot more resin than expected.  
A couple more finishing touches and it will be ready for delivery.  


For the winter checklist, it is getting really small.  The only thing left that is required is to cover the stuff.  I would still like to get the electrician and gravel done, but those can wait for spring.

  1. Buy a new truck.
  2. Install the outrigger supports on the shed.
  3. Install the inter-rafter supports for the ridge board.
  4. Rework the pilings for the shed.
  5. Remove the trailer tanks.
  6. Sand and paint the trailer.
  7. Weld the new pieces onto the trailer.
    • This will likely get pushed out to next year.
  8. Put gravel down in the driveway.
    • Nice to have.
  9. Install driveway markers.
  10. Stabilize the mowers.
  11. Cover the piles and stuff on the slab.
  12. Electrical panel work.
    • Nice to have
  13. Install the mailbox.

No comments:

Post a Comment