Monday, June 17, 2024

Fun but not as productive as hoped.

Most of the week was pretty dull.  I ended up making a run into town Friday evening during a gorgeous sunset to get another cheapo paint kit for staining.




I came home to hundreds of fireflies.  I tried to take a picture of them, but apparently night mode thinks the lights from fireflies is noise or something and it post-processed them all out.  Oh well.  

Saturday was gorgeous weather.  I went up and played some laser tag for one of my coworker's birthdays, which was a lot of fun.  It was a pleasant surprise it was outdoors, which given the nice day I enjoyed.  I was pretty wiped when I got home though.  I also sold the wheeler on Saturday.  It turns out the wheeler doesn't fit in an S10, so I ended up delivering it to him.  He knows a guy who thinks he can fix it.  And I picked up some lumber for a coworker.  And taking a nap.

Sunday was warmer, but it started off really nice.  Turns out I completely forgot when I did the sealing with wood glue to go back and do where the beams were.  So I finished that up, and then moved on to the bondo.  I rewashed the cap, and put on the bondo.  I will say that working with tiger hair bondo is a pain.


I did the front as well.  This didn't look like it went all the way through, but I had some leftover after doing the back so I filled it in anyways.  I just need to glass the top and new support boards and the cap is done


I then started sanding and staining on the armoire.  This is as far as I got.  Shocker: cheapo rollers are cheap.  I do have a nicer set of rollers, but since stain is absorbed as opposed to coating, I would prefer to finish with the same type of roller to make the finish more consistent.  But it at least shows me what it looks like.  And also shows me that I didn't do enough sanding, you can see where the glue is because I didn't sand it down enough so there will be blotches because wood glue doesn't allow the stain absorb (it is a sealer).


Even with their premature failure, these are still cheaper than a nicer set anyways.  Two rollers for $1.25  I have to admit though, this isn't a failure I have seen before where the foam just comes off the core.


It wasn't quite dark when I brought the armoire back in to stain (I did the sanding outside for obvious reasons), but I got lazy and didn't do anything else.  I looked at my lawn, decided it needed mowing, but didn't do it.  I will do it later in the week when it is too hot to do anything else.  This week is supposed to be a cooker, up in the 90s for most of the week, even up the hill in Sullivan.  I really need to make sure the trailer is as ready to go though, since there is only one more weekend before I am headed down so I think that might get a bump up the priority list.  Even if all I do is remove the dust caps and pump a bunch of grease in and close them back up, I still want to do something.  I have been soaking the coupler in WD-40 every few days, so hopefully that won't be a problem.  

Current to-do:
  • Design deck
  • Build deck
  • Build armoire.
  • Install whole house filter.
  • Refurb cap
  • Access panel upgrades in master closet
  • Back yard drainage.
  • Insulate the water lines
  • Take scrap metal to Buffum
  • Close up tiny home.  Seal up plumbing.
  • Storm doors

No comments:

Post a Comment