Monday, August 29, 2022

Overdue post.

So I just realized that I never posted an update the previous weekend.  I wasn't feeling well and didn't do much.  I have been working remotely (kind of).  The tiny home doesn't have good facilities for this though, this was my desk.


One of the bright spots of two weekends ago was I finally caught the mouse that has been the bane of my existence since I got back.  This mouse was weird.  He wasn't interested in the normal bait that I use (my typical bait is peanut butter and sunflower seeds), but man he loved fats.  I started baiting the traps with butter, and it turned out he was a master of slicking them.  The most amusing part is that he had already slicked the trap that got him.  It is nice to not have to clean my counter every morning though.  

I just did some other odds and ends during the week, like grinding up the chicken I am bringing down.  

Also two weekends ago, I had the first breakdown of my riding mower.  It just threw the belt.  Apparently you have to remove all the guards to put it back on, which was kind of annoying, but it wasn't difficult to do.  It was the first time in over a month that I had mowed, and it really needed it.  

One thing I have noticed is that despite the frequent rain since I have gotten back from the White Mountains, we are still very much in a drought.  My creek is dry.



But we have definitely been getting rain.  The bedliner on the truck is still watertight. 


Last weekend started off kind of soggy.  While I was waiting for things to dry out, I went through and resmoothed the driveway.  I had spun the tires a couple of times in the Ford and made some holes.  


I also went and started to move things into the Ford.  I also replaced the batteries in my old Mag Lite.  Apparently it was well overdue, and they left goo on the sides, but I was still able to get the new batteries in.


The other big project for Saturday was to start cleaning up the areas I have been spraying with weed killer all year.  This turned out to be more work than I was expecting, especially since the weed wacker wouldn't start.  I started to take it apart, and there is a fuel leak in it somewhere.  I will deal with it probably next year at this point.  

Instead I used my hand weed wacker.  I chopped down the knotweed, and anything that had an ounce of green on it got tossed into my burn barrel.  As one might expect, I pulled out a lot of rocks and trash.



I used the tractor to push one of the big rocks out of the way.  


Once I got all that stuff taken care of, I also went and mulched it with the push mower.  And of course found more rocks.  It looks better now.  I don't think I will get any grass here this year, but the stage is set for lawn to reclaim it.  I might need to do some smoothing with it before I can take the rider through there, but the push mower can keep it clear at any rate.


The section took a lot longer than I anticipated, that took several hours.  I didn't really do much else on Saturday.  Sunday was also less than desirable from a weather standpoint, it was some weird misty thing until mid-afternoon.  I puttered around in the shed for a couple of hours, and I finished getting my toolbox and stuff in the truck Sunday, since I am headed down to KY later this week.  


No comments:

Post a Comment