Tuesday, January 4, 2022

New Laptop all set up

Since it looks like Dad never posted it, I did a couple of projects while I was down in KY.  The first being to install their new stove.  This time I did the natural gas to propane conversion, so I know it was done right.  I am pretty sure the wasn't done right on the old stove, which is why it died a premature death.  I did the conversion while Dad was running around trying to find fittings since Lowe's sold him the wrong connection kit (they sold him a 3/4" kit when he only had 1/2" gas lines)

The other project was putting up some molding.  I sanded it down with a flap wheel so it didn't look quite so bad, and put up some clear plastic corner molding.  My after picture was just a giant blur unfortunately, but I did get one after the sanding.  The molding pulls the metal into the doorframe, and was clear plastic.  They can paint it in the future if they want to.

I had a pleasant surprise in my mailbox when I got back.  I am planning on a trip to Arizona this spring, and Arizona's parks and recreation department had a form you could fill out and they would send you a guide.  I did that back in October, and when it hadn't arrived by Thanksgiving I assumed that it was all just hot air, but it was actually in my mailbox when I got home.  It included a map, a tourist magazine that I looked through and wasn't terribly useful, but the Opt outside in Arizona had a lot of nice nuggets in it (as if I needed more things to do; the trip is already too long).  So it was definitely worth my while, especially since it was free.

After reviewing that material, I finally got around to re-assembling my entertainment center.  My TV is a very effective RF shield, so I had been running with the stuff all stacked up in the back.  With the tower gone, that stack is no longer tall enough, so I left the QNAS I bought from Mike and my Drobo.  I cleaned up the bricks, but the data centers are stacked.  I am only using the NAS as a backup until I get my Drobo fixed; its fan is dying. I should have taken this opportunity to install the outlet covers, but oh well.  I cleaned up the wiring so it can be moved freely now though, so it is easy to move now for a change.

I ended up adding a couple of shelves to get things above the TV so the wireless stuff works.  I haven't tested the Switch yet, but the laptop is working.  I had some interesting problems, which I haven't resolved all of yet: Windows decided the optimal settings for my TV included running at 25Hz refresh rate, which made the movies run choppy (movies are typically around 30FPS).  I am still having problems with the receiver; when I ran the HDMI to the receiver and then to the TV nothing worked.  I am running the HDMI direct to the TV at the moment, with a nice Goldeneye screenshot.

Something disappointing I noticed when I pulled out my sketchpad is that it apparently got wet and has stuff growing on it.  It has been in my backpack though, so I will need to clean it thoroughly.  I am not sure when this happened.  The book is mostly full at this point, so I might just digitize what is in it and chuck it.

I did do a quick design for an entertainment center.  I am debating building it, but at the present moment, I might hold off until the real house is built.  Or at least wait until spring so I can stain it and all that and make it a piece that goes into the real house.  

Hopefully at some point this week I will get back to working on some of my winter projects.

Winter Projects:
  • Install chains and anti-gel in tractor.
  • Get power center out of truck.
  • Fix shed floor.
  • Review options for house (mobile home vs stick built vs modular)
  • Put up more shelving/hooks in the carport

1 comment:

  1. Hmm well if you fix the shed floor first, then put the chains and anti-gel in the tractor you can use the tractor to move the power center out of the truck and into the shed and not have it fall through the floor- though that doesn't work at all on the mobile/stick/modular house issue at all.

    ReplyDelete