Sunday, February 2, 2020

More building. The house looks bigger now.

This weekend was also supposed to be nice, so I decided to build the closet this weekend.  I didn't get much done on Friday, but Saturday I made progress and got the shell of it completed before dark.  I did make a mistake, I made 2 left sides, but I got that corrected, and got it assembled.


It also has big felt feet so it slid around, and while they got beat up being on concrete, they saved the bottom from getting beat all to hell. 


Today I went up to the shed and grabbed one of the press boards that I bought for the ceiling and put that on.  In hindsight, I probably should have left it off because it more than tripled the weight of the closet, but it made nice and rigid, and the white backing looks nice. 


The rest of the day was spent clearing out the inside.  Considering I had been clearing off the wire rack that was in the corner for a while now, there was still a lot of stuff in there. 


And more on the other side of the ottoman.


Turns out I am out of swiffer juice, so the floor didn't get cleaned, but oh well. 


The closet fits nicely in the corner.


One thing to note is that it is technically substandard depth for a closet.  If I want to put a door on it, I will need to build out the front framing a little to do so, though I don't think I ever will.  This also means that baggier shirts will stick out an inch or two from the front.


The place looks larger with everything cleaned up now.


In order to help clean up, I took a load of stuff up to the shed.  The truck drove right up the hill, which was a little surprising.  It turned out that there wasn't a layer of ice underneath everything up there like I had expected.  Last time I cleared (which everything I have cleared has since melted off) there was a thick layer of ice on the bottom. 


To be honest, I didn't expect that I would have enough nice weather in January to be able to build these two pieces, but I am glad that I did.  Having the closet means emptying out the car will be a lot easier, since there are still a suitcase of clothes in it.  I heard on the radio that we had the third warmest January on record, and I believe it.  It isn't abnormal to get a January thaw, but it is abnormal to get more rain than snow in January.  My power bill, which includes my heat, hasn't gone over 200 yet this winter.  Last winter I had several months over 300.

No comments:

Post a Comment