Monday, March 11, 2024

Snowier than expected, but cap cut down.

I didn't get a lot done during the week.  I went to go pick up a TV on Tuesday, but the guy gave it to someone else and didn't bother to tell me, but most of the week was very wet.  


I did get some visitors on Thursday though.  


I am doing some Yocto and Linux training this week, which required a native Linux machine.  I didn't want to modify my laptop, so I figured I would use Dad's old PC.  I needed to reinstall the OS on it anyways.  Turns out that he has been running it without a functioning CPU fan, my guess would be for quite some time.  I got a new fan on order, and for the short term, I just took a random fan and plopped it down on the heat sink.  That should be sufficient.  


Friday was gorgeous, so I used the fact that the assessor was coming out to close out the mortgage as an excuse to work from home (partially outside).  The swamp that is my backyard didn't seem to bother her, so I am good to go.  

Saturday was chillier, but still nice.  So I did more work on the cap.  I got fed up with the oscillating tool chewing up blades and switched to the circular saw.


The main reason I didn't use it originally is because of this: fiberglass is kind of fragile and I didn't want to break anything.  It did chip a little, but not as bad as I feared.


Just for comparison, this is the edge using the oscillator tool.  


That said the circular saw definitely made a straighter cut.  You can see where I switched.


The other side is all cut down too.


Next up was working with the windows a bit.  I had to evict my moss.  
 

They slide with a single hand now. The one on the other side makes a bit of noise opening and closing.  

I also took a more detailed look at the holes from the ladder rack.  Looking in the hole, it looks like the inside of the ceiling is hollow.  One of them had something that looked like paper in it, but definitely not foam or wood or anything.


I cut the worse side with the paper-like stuff open a bit to get a better look.  I know the guy I bought the cap from was major redneck and not the brightest bulb in the box, but there was nothing supporting the bolt he put in. 


Just for sanity's sake, I drilled a small hole in the front where it isn't damaged, and that was hollow as well. I am on the fence about whether to fill it with expanding foam or just repair the holes with bondo.


I wasn't the only one out on Saturday.  They looked like mostly robins, but they were out en masse. 


Sunday was mostly napping, playing some games, watching the snow fall and eventually I got around to some chores.  It snowed most of the day.  My yard is white again.  I expect it won't make it a day or two though.


The cap is moving along quite well.  Now that there is daylight at the end of the day again, I might get some more traction on getting the armoire built too.

Current To-do:
  • ASAP
    • Shorten PTO shaft for snowblower
    • Final mowing of leaves?
    • Winterize equipment
  • Winter projects: 
    • All the cabinet upgrades (bathroom, pantry, and kitchen)
    • Design deck
    • Build armoire.
    • Install whole house filter.
    • Refurb cap
    • Shelving upgrades in master closet.
    • Access panel upgrades in master closet
    • Install cube organizer in living room.
  • 2024 Projects:
    • Back yard drainage.  Complete Mortgage.
    • Insulate the water lines
    • Take scrap metal to Buffum
    • Close up tiny home.  Seal up plumbing.
    • Deck
    • Entertainment center
    • Storm doors

2 comments:

  1. I work with some of those 'not so bright bulbs' when did you steal my co-workers?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly they are everywhere. We have more than a few up here in the sticks too.

      Delete