Friday, May 31, 2024

New to me trailer project.

I went and looked at a trailer yesterday, and while it is rough, the price was right.  I got it for $40 (what he said he would get for it as scrap metal), which considering smaller rusty crappy ones are going for $500+, I don't think it was a bad deal.  I really didn't need another project, but I think the work it needs before heading to KY with it is pretty minimal.  It is a 7x12 former popup camper.  The decking feels solid when I walk on it, but will still need replacing in another year or two because it is the floor of the popup and is now exposed to the elements.  The frame is rusty; it will need to be wire brushed and painted and refurbished like my old one, but there weren't any rust holes that I could see, and the rust looks repairable.  The trailer needs lights, but the wiring harness appeared intact at first glance, so I don't need to rewire it (unless the wiring doesn't work, which I had no way to test).  For the KY trip, I might just pick up a cheapo pair of magnetic lights and bolt them down or something.  The coupler is rough (I had to loosen it up with a hammer before putting it on the truck) and will likely need replacing when the trailer is refurbished, which will not be a simple task since it isn't a standard coupler; it is a camper one with the emergency braking system and stuff.  I will probably bring it somewhere and have a standard one welded on.  The trailer jack on it works, but is rough, and I will likely replace it when I refurb it.


It has some weird looking wheels on it, but the guy claims they hold air.  There was some minor dry rot in them, but I don't think they need immediate replacement.  One of the wheels shifted around a tiny bit so it will need bearings eventually, but it wasn't as bad as my old one which if I recall correctly, went to KY at one point to bring back the Cub Cadet (I don't think I put that in the back of the truck, it wouldn't fit with the snowblower, but to be honest don't really recall).  That said, I never took my old one more than a couple hours away.  Having said that, while it never failed on me, for all I know my old one failed 5 miles after I sold it, it isn't like I put a lot of miles on it.  It did come with a spare.  I put my hand on the rims when I got home, and there was no excessive heat, so they at least spin freely.  Ironically the one that wobbled a little was ambient temp, it was the other one that was at least warmer than the outside air, but not hot.  The trailer towed home surprisingly nicely.  It is also kind of nice to be able to see the trailer in the rear view mirrors.


In short, it is a project, but I think lights are the only thing it needs before I take it to KY.  I will probably repack the bearings, or at least pull off the dust caps and look and maybe install some bearing buddies before the trip, just to help ensure it makes it that far.  Alternatively, I could just buy a more expensive one that is more ready, use it for the trip, and then sell it if I open up the dust caps and get scared with what I see.

The drive to pick it up was actually quite pleasant.  I got to see a nice sunset, though I didn't get great pictures.


Next up is the wheeler.

Current To-do:
  • Design deck
  • Build deck
  • Build armoire.
  • Install whole house filter.
  • Refurb cap
  • Access panel upgrades in master closet
  • Back yard drainage.
  • Insulate the water lines
  • Take scrap metal to Buffum
  • Close up tiny home.  Seal up plumbing.
  • Storm doors

No comments:

Post a Comment