Monday, May 20, 2024

More broken equipment.

Last week was relatively uneventful.  I did catch a nice sunset on Tuesday.  Sadly this was the picture I managed to snag since there was someone behind me.  


It rain pretty much the rest of the week so I did a little organizing inside.  I finally started to clean up the guest room.  The clips for the shelves finally came in.  And sure enough, as soon as I put the shelf in, I found the original clips for the shelf.  Sigh.  So I have a boatload of extra shelf clips now. I put all my camping stuff on it.  I didn't realize that this picture was so awful so my apologies.


I also bought these, but didn't end up needing them, all the camping stuff fit on the shelves.


Also in my clips order were the clamps I need for the cap.  


The first big project for Saturday was mowing before the rain came in the afternoon.  First time of the season.  It was bad, some of these weeds were knee deep, and almost all of it was shin deep.


Then I found out the mower was broken.  Sigh.  The PTO won't actuate.  It worked fine last fall.


So I ended using the push mower.  It at least ran.  The only problem was that I put the rest of my gas in the riding mower.  So I ran the push mower until it ran out of gas.  I got most of the one section of yard done before it ran dry.


I need new shoes, I went skiing a couple of times, didn't tear myself up too bad though.


The other big project for Saturday was to bring the wheeler to the Honda dealer.  I expected the answer, but it still makes me sad.  They wanted a $500 deposit just to look at it because of its age, and he predicted a 4 figure repair bill.  I could find the parts on ebay, but it is a bit out of my depth to fix (I expect it is a transfer case), and the last thing I need is another project. So I took a bunch of pictures of the wheeler, and will get it listed today.

Saturday night I started some sanding.  It is a little weird and awkward connected to a regular vacuum, but it made very little mess.


I found out Saturday night that I cut the boards wrong.  D'oh.  At least they were too long.


Sunday was a really nice day. I started by cutting the boards.  This is why I don't like building using plywood with only hand tools, errors compound and then you end up with this.  The corner there isn't perfectly square.  Assembly won't be fun. But everything is cut.


Since I can assemble the armoire in the evening and during rain, I moved on to work on the cap.  I got the board cut and planed for the front. The second try (I don't want to talk about the first failure) fits like a glove.



It is all screwed in, and I took my belt sander and sanded down the edges so the gasket has as smooth surface all the way around.


In the afternoon, I discovered that my glue was not good.  I don't think wood glue separates, so I don't know what is going on here.  I decided not to try it.  I am planning on "painting" the wood with wood glue before I glass everything to give the wood itself water resistance (wood glue acts as a sealant) as well as the glass which will be an impervious layer.  So I ended up making a run into town.


I was running short on light when I got back, so I decided to go and clean up  the cap a bit.  I got the crap all scraped off so I can finish repairing the holes.  The fact that I got it all off with a putty knife most likely means the bondo he applied was not applied properly.


I also finally pulled out my hose so I can finish cleaning the cap, but there wasn't enough daylight left.  My hose has apparently developed a rather minor leak.


After dark, I finally got around to reassembling the Auger with the new gasket.  I will test it hopefully today to see if that fixed the leak.


It was getting late at this point but I also laid out the armoire.


My truck goes in today for its recall work and the pinion seal, so I took the afternoon off.  It is supposed to be nice today.  I have started looking around at other wheelers.

Current To-do:
  • Design deck
  • Build deck
  • Build armoire.
  • Install whole house filter.
  • Refurb cap
  • Access panel upgrades in master closet
  • Back yard drainage.
  • Insulate the water lines
  • Take scrap metal to Buffum
  • Close up tiny home.  Seal up plumbing.
  • Storm doors

No comments:

Post a Comment