Thursday, March 28, 2024

Unexpectedly exciting drive.

I went to KY this past weekend.  There was a bit more excitement than there normally is on the drive.  I got to watch some noob in Massachusetts lost control and spin out into the median, and shortly afterwards I got to watch a semi attempt to leave his axles behind.  He was riding off the side of the road despite the rumble strips and didn't realize (or was too busy playing on his phone) that there was a narrower bridge up ahead.  The tractor missed the concrete sides, but the trailer didn't and got launched back into the road.  Then in West Virginia, there was a presumed drug bust.  Several cops were there, all their spotlights affixed into the car, which was wide open (all doors, tailgate, etc), and there were what looked like a large number of ziploc bags in the back.  The driver was nowhere to be seen.

There was a nice sunrise on the way down.



The ride home was less eventful.  I got to watch another nice sunrise in PA though.  




I did get woken up from a short nap in MA to some really nasty smoke though.  It looked to be roughly the same era as my truck, just a different configuration (quad cab standard box whereas my truck is extended cab long box).  Glad it wasn't mine.  I departed in a hurry just in case it was contagious. 




Because of the hasty departure, I didn't play the computer games and lost my mileage (courtesy of Ford's trip meter reset "feature"), but in general I got really excellent mileage on this trip.  When I got to KY I managed 24mpg despite the highest mileage part having 40mph headwinds, and the way home I was getting 26mpg, which is significantly better than usual.  The trip started with a tail wind, but I didn't have it the whole way.


My driveway was a mess from the storm last weekend.  I just drove over it.  It is supposed to rain the next couple of days which will melt most of it off.  


My truck didn't quite make it all the way up the hill.  This was as far as it got.

I have been looking at an excavator and plan to go up and look at one tonight.  The snow puts a bit of a damper on the projects; the cap is still buried, and so on.

No comments:

Post a Comment