Saturday, September 22, 2018

A bunch of electrical odds and ends.

The first thing I did this morning was install the new generator box.  It went on smoothly.


I also got the mudding plates installed correctly on the outlets in the interior wall.


I tried using some of these to install the lights.  They didn't work worth a damn.  The problem is that the stranded wire for the light fixture wouldn't push through.  I ended up making a Home Depot run to get properly sized wire nuts for it.


I also installed the lights on the trailer.  Everything now works, and the cord is long enough to reach the truck.



I then went and installed the remaining light fixtures.  They were in the shed, and I found where the mice have been hiding.


All the bases are installed.


And tested.


I will need to do a little more work on the kitchen light strip.  I need to clean the presumably mouse poo out of the socket and the kitchen light may need a piece of trim to cover the hole in the ceiling.


I brought the covers home to clean.


I also installed the header for the interior doors.  I wanted to install the paneling as well, but ran out of daylight.  Having to make a trip to Home Depot during the day lost a couple of hours since the place is always a zoo on Saturday.  I even skipped picking up the exterior boxes because of the line at the desk.  I will pick them up tonight when I do my shopping.


The last thing I did was make sure the generator fired up.  It took a couple of pulls (when I was using it a lot, it always started first pull), but it didn't give me any trouble.  It hasn't run in over a year at this point, so it will be good to get it running.  I will likely make a trip to Harbor Freight tomorrow to pick up a cord to test the generator plug and the 240V circuits.  In theory, the generator should run the whole house, even if it is a tad on the small and tired side.


I wanted to fix the main power as well today, but I ran out of time.  I also wanted to put up the paneling on the inside, but that didn't happen either.  I have the paneling up there, but it isn't installed yet.  I will definitely be ready for flooring before next weekend though, so I will start watching the weather and see if I can round up some help next weekend for it. 

We actually have a frost advisory in effect for tonight.  Fall is definitely here.

I started work on the two checklists, one for before occupancy, and one for before winter.

Before Occupancy:

  1. Install paneling on interior walls.
  2. Build floor pan for the bathroom
  3. Install bathroom fixtures.
  4. Install exterior electric boxes.
  5. Complete interior plumbing and test it.
  6. Finish running the waste PVC line.
  7. Run water lines for well.  
  8. Get well installed.
  9. Get hot water heater installed.
  10. Install flooring.
  11. Install some form of cabinets in the kitchen.  
  12. Install kitchen sink.
  13. Install kitchen appliances.
  14. Install enough driveway to satisfy the apron requirements.


Before Winter:
  1. Build bed frame.
  2. Build closets.
  3. Install table.
  4. Install skirting.
  5. Install heat tapes.
  6. Build some sort of porch.
  7. Smooth driveway enough to plow/clear
  8. Fix snowblower.  
  9. Winterize equipment (mower, undercoat the truck, etc).
  10. Clear slab
  11. Shed work
    1. Extend roof to prevent snow pushing on the side.
    2. Fix pilings.
Looking at the lists, there is a lot more work left than I might have guessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment